KAUST Grant NumberKUS-F1-033-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599865
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report tapping mode microwave impedance imaging based on atomic force microscope platforms. The shielded cantilever probe is critical to localize the tip-sample interaction near the tip apex. The modulated tip-sample impedance can be accurately simulated by the finite-element analysis and the result agrees quantitatively to the experimental data on a series of thin-film dielectric samples. The tapping mode microwave imaging is also superior to the contact mode in that the thermal drift in a long time scale is totally eliminated and an absolute measurement on the dielectric properties is possible. We demonstrated tapping images on working nanodevices, and the data are consistent with the transport results. © 2009 American Institute of Physics.
CitationLai K, Kundhikanjana W, Peng H, Cui Y, Kelly MA, et al. (2009) Tapping mode microwave impedance microscopy. Review of Scientific Instruments 80: 043707. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3123406.
SponsorsThe research is funded by Center of Probing the Nanoscale (CPN), Stanford University, a gift grant of Agilent Technologies, Inc., and DOE under Contract Nos. DE-FG03-01ER45929-A001 and DE-FG36-08GOI8004. This publication is also based on work supported by Award No. KUS-F1-033-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) under the global research partnership (GRP) program. CPN is an NSF NSEC, NSF Grant No. PHY-0425897. The cantilevers were fabricated in Stanford Nanofabrication Facility (SNF) by A. M. Fitzgerald and B. Chui in A. M. Fitzgerald & Associates, LLC, San Carlos, CA.
JournalReview of Scientific Instruments
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Tapping mode imaging and measurements with an inverted atomic force microscope.
- Authors: Chan SS, Green JB
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 18
- Topography imaging with a heated atomic force microscope cantilever in tapping mode.
- Authors: Park K, Lee J, Zhang ZM, King WP
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Modeling and characterization of a cantilever-based near-field scanning microwave impedance microscope.
- Authors: Lai K, Kundhikanjana W, Kelly M, Shen ZX
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Atomic-force-microscope-compatible near-field scanning microwave microscope with separated excitation and sensing probes.
- Authors: Lai K, Ji MB, Leindecker N, Kelly MA, Shen ZX
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Improving tapping mode atomic force microscopy with piezoelectric cantilevers.
- Authors: Rogers B, Manning L, Sulchek T, Adams JD
- Issue date: 2004 Aug