Tailored Poly(2-oxazoline) Polymer Brushes to Control Protein Adsorption and Cell Adhesion
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-F1-029-32
Online Publication Date2012-05-18
Print Publication Date2012-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599859
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPOx bottle-brush brushes (BBBs) are synthesized by SIPGP of 2-isopropenyl-2-oxazoline and consecutive LCROP of 2-oxazolines on 3-aminopropyltrimethoxysilane-modified silicon substrates. The side chain hydrophilicity and polarity are varied. The impact of the chemical composition and architecture of the BBB upon protein (fibronectin) adsorption and endothelial cell adhesion are investigated and prove extremely low protein adsorption and cell adhesion on BBBs with hydrophilic side chains such as poly(2-methyl-2-oxazoline) and poly(2-ethyl-2-oxazoline). The influence of the POx side chain terminal function upon adsorption and adhesion is minor but the side chain length has a significant effect on bioadsorption. © 2012 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationZhang N, Pompe T, Amin I, Luxenhofer R, Werner C, et al. (2012) Tailored Poly(2-oxazoline) Polymer Brushes to Control Protein Adsorption and Cell Adhesion. Macromolecular Bioscience 12: 926–936. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mabi.201200026.
SponsorsN.Z. is thankful for support by the CompInt (International Graduate School of complex interface) of the TU Munchen through a Ph.D. fellowship. R.J. is thankful for further support by the IGSSE (International Graduate School for Science and Engineering). R.J. and C.W. acknowledge support by the Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden (CRTD). R.L. is thankful for a postdoctoral fellowship of the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST, Award. No. KUK-F1-029-32). The authors thank Kati Mittasch and Juliane Drichel for technical support in protein adsorption and cell culture experiments.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Microstructured poly(2-oxazoline) bottle-brush brushes on nanocrystalline diamond.
- Authors: Hutter NA, Reitinger A, Zhang N, Steenackers M, Williams OA, Garrido JA, Jordan R
- Issue date: 2010 May 7
- Facile Fabrication of Bio- and Dual-Functional Poly(2-oxazoline) Bottle-Brush Brush Surfaces.
- Authors: Du Y, Zhang T, Gieseler D, Schneider M, Hafner D, Sheng W, Li W, Lange F, Wegener E, Amin I, Jordan R
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 26
- Thermo-responsive polymer brushes as intelligent biointerfaces: preparation via ATRP and characterization.
- Authors: Nagase K, Watanabe M, Kikuchi A, Yamato M, Okano T
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 10
- Analysis of the biological response of endothelial and fibroblast cells cultured on synthetic scaffolds with various hydrophilic/hydrophobic ratios: influence of fibronectin adsorption and conformation.
- Authors: Campillo-Fernández AJ, Unger RE, Peters K, Halstenberg S, Santos M, Salmerón Sánchez M, Meseguer Dueñas JM, Monleón Pradas M, Gómez Ribelles JL, Kirkpatrick CJ
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Nanostructured Biointerfaces: Nanoarchitectonics of Thermoresponsive Polymer Brushes Impact Protein Adsorption and Cell Adhesion.
- Authors: Psarra E, König U, Ueda Y, Bellmann C, Janke A, Bittrich E, Eichhorn KJ, Uhlmann P
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 17