Twist and Stretch of Helices Explained via the Kirchhoff-Love Rod Model of Elastic Filaments
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn various single-molecule experiments, a chiral polymer, such as DNA, is simultaneously pulled and twisted. We address an elementary but fundamental question raised by various authors: does the molecule overwind or unwind under tension? We show that within the context of the classic Kirchhoff-Love rod model of elastic filaments, both behaviors are possible, depending on the precise constitutive relations of the polymer. More generally, our analysis provides an effective linear response theory for helical structures that relates axial force and axial torque to axial translation and rotation. © 2013 American Physical Society.
CitationĐuričković B, Goriely A, Maddocks JH (2013) Twist and Stretch of Helices Explained via the Kirchhoff-Love Rod Model of Elastic Filaments. Physical Review Letters 111. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.108103.
SponsorsThis publication is based in part upon work supported by Grant No. KUK-C1-013-04, made by (KAUST), and by the U.S. NSF under Grant No. DMS-0907773 (B. D.). A. G. acknowledges support from a Reintegration Grant under EC Framework VII. The work of J. H. M. was supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation under Grants No. 200021-126666/1&2 and No. 200020-143613.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Muscle force arises by actin filament rotation and torque in the Z-filaments.
- Authors: Jarosch R
- Issue date: 2000 Apr 21
- DNA overwinds when stretched.
- Authors: Gore J, Bryant Z, Nöllmann M, Le MU, Cozzarelli NR, Bustamante C
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 17
- Theory of self-contact in Kirchhoff rods with applications to supercoiling of knotted and unknotted DNA plasmids.
- Authors: Coleman BD, Swigon D
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 15
- Authors: Chouaieb N, Goriely A, Maddocks JH
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 20
- General investigation of elastic thin rods as subject to a terminal twist.
- Authors: Hu K
- Issue date: 2007 Sep