Synthesis, characterization and DFT study of methoxybenzylidene containing chromophores for DSSC materials
KAUST Grant Number08-NAN155-7
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNovel tricyanovinyl derived from hydrazones have been prepared by the reaction of tetracyanoethylene and phenylethylidene hydrazone, and these dyes showed absorption in the region of 539-650 nm. The dyes showed pronounced solvatochromic effects as the polarity of the solvents changed. The torsion in E isomer is smaller than Z and azo isomers of MBD1 and MBD2. The HOMOs are delocalized on whole of the molecule while LUMOs are distributed on the tricarbonitrile. The LUMO energies are above the conduction band of TiO 2 and HOMOs of the dyes are below the redox couple of MBD1 and MBD2. The HOMO energies, LUMO energies and HOMO-LUMO energy gap of MBD1 and MBD2 are almost same. The absorption spectra of both the dyes in different solvents are approximately same except in cyclohexane. © 2012 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
CitationAl-Sehemi AG, Irfan A, Asiri AM, Ammar YA (2012) Synthesis, characterization and DFT study of methoxybenzylidene containing chromophores for DSSC materials. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 91: 239–243. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.saa.2012.01.016.
SponsorsThe present work has been carried out under project No. 08-NAN155-7 funded by KAUST (King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology) through the Long Term Comprehensive National Plan for Science, Technology and Innovation program.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Theoretical study of carbazole-triphenylamine-based dyes for dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Jia C, Wan Z, Zhang J, Li Z, Yao X, Shi Y
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Donor-enhanced bridge effect on the electronic properties of triphenylamine based dyes: density functional theory investigations.
- Authors: Irfan A, Al-Sehemi AG, Asiri AM
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Optical Absorption Spectra and Electronic Properties of Symmetric and Asymmetric Squaraine Dyes for Use in DSSC Solar Cells: DFT and TD-DFT Studies.
- Authors: El-Shishtawy RM, Elroby SA, Asiri AM, Müllen K
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 1
- Quantum chemical investigations aimed at modeling highly efficient zinc porphyrin dye sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Irfan A, Hina N, Al-Sehemi AG, Asiri AM
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- The effect of conjugated spacer on novel carbazole derivatives for dye-sensitized solar cells: density functional theory/time-dependent density functional theory study.
- Authors: Jungsuttiwong S, Yakhanthip T, Surakhot Y, Khunchalee J, Sudyoadsuk T, Promarak V, Kungwan N, Namuangruk S
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 30