Synthesis of an S T = 7 [Mn 3 ] Mixed-Valence Complex Based on 1,3-Propanediol Ligand Derivatives and Its One-Dimensional Assemblies
KAUST Grant NumberCRG-1-2012-LAI-009
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractControlled organization of high-spin complexes and single-molecule magnets is a great challenge in molecular magnetism in order to study the effect of the intercomplex magnetic interactions on the intrinsic properties of a given magnetic object. In this work, a new ST = 7 trinuclear mixed-valence Mn complex, [MnIIIMnII 2(LA) 2(Br)4(CH3OH)6] ·Br· (CH3OH)1.5·(H2O)0.5 (1), is reported using a pyridinium-functionalized 1,3-propanediol ligand (H 2LABr = 1-(3-bromo-2,2-bis(hydroxymethyl)propyl)pyridinium bromide). Using azido anions as bridging ligands and different pyridinium-functionalized 1,3-propanediol ligands (H2LBBr = 1-(3-bromo-2,2-bis(hydroxymethyl)propyl)-4-picolinium bromide; H 2LCBr = 1-(3-bromo-2,2-bis(hydroxymethyl)propyl)-3,5- lutidinium bromide), the linear [MnIIIMnII 2L2X4]+ building block has been assembled into one-dimensional coordination networks: [MnIIIMn II 2(LA)2(Br)4(CH 3OH)4(N3)]·((C2H 5)2O)1.25 (2∞), [MnIIIMn II 2(LB)2(Br)4(C 2H5OH)(CH3OH)(H2O) 2(N3)]·(H2O)0.25 (3∞), and [MnIIIMnII 2(LC) 2(Cl)3.8(Br)0.2(C2H 5OH)3(CH3OH)(N3)] (4∞). The syntheses, characterization, crystal structures, and magnetic properties of these new [Mn3]-based materials are reported. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
CitationHuang J, Wu G, Bai J, Jiang Y, Li G, et al. (2013) Synthesis of an S T = 7 [Mn 3 ] Mixed-Valence Complex Based on 1,3-Propanediol Ligand Derivatives and Its One-Dimensional Assemblies . Inorg Chem 52: 11051–11059. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ic401269p.
SponsorsThe authors thank the National Basic Research Program of China (2011CB808703, 2012CB821700), National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant nos. 20901027, 91022030, 21261130584), "111" project (B07016) and Award Project of KAUST (CRG-1-2012-LAI-009), the University of Bordeaux, ANR (NT09_469563, AC-MAGnets project), Region Aquitaine, GIS Advanced Materials in Aquitaine (COMET Project), and the CNRS for financial support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Self-assembly of linear [Mn(II)2Mn(III)] units with end-on azido bridges: the construction of a ferromagnetic chain using ST = 7 high-spin trimers.
- Authors: Jiang Y, Qin L, Li G, Abbas G, Cao Y, Wu G, Han T, Zheng YZ, Qiu S
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 21
- Synthesis and Magnetic Properties of Six New Trinuclear Oxo-Centered Manganese Complexes of General Formula [Mn(3)O(X-benzoato)(6)L(3)] (X = 2-F, 2-Cl, 2-Br, 3-F, 3-Cl, 3-Br; L = Pyridine or Water) and Crystal Structures of the 2-F, 3-Cl, and 3-Br Complexes.
- Authors: Ribas J, Albela B, Stoeckli-Evans H, Christou G
- Issue date: 1997 May 21
- Self-assembly of mixed-valence Co(II/III) and Ni(II) clusters: azide-bridged 1D single chain coordination polymers comprised of tetranuclear units, tetranuclear Co(II/III) complexes, ferromagnetically coupled azide-bridged tetranuclear, and hexanuclear Ni(II) complexes: synthesis, structural, and magnetic properties.
- Authors: Tandon SS, Bunge SD, Rakosi R, Xu Z, Thompson LK
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 7
- S(T) = 22 [Mn10] supertetrahedral building-block to design extended magnetic networks.
- Authors: Wu G, Huang J, Sun L, Bai J, Li G, Cremades E, Ruiz E, Clérac R, Qiu S
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 5
- Structures, magnetochemistry, spectroscopy, theoretical study, and catechol oxidase activity of dinuclear and dimer-of-dinuclear mixed-valence Mn(III)Mn(II) complexes derived from a macrocyclic ligand.
- Authors: Jana A, Aliaga-Alcalde N, Ruiz E, Mohanta S
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 1