KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Online Publication Date2012-11-18
Print Publication Date2014-01
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599812
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA mathematical framework is developed to model the kinematics of surface growth for objects that can be generated by evolving a curve in space, such as seashells and horns. Growth is dictated by a growth velocity vector field defined at every point on a generating curve. A local orthonormal basis is attached to each point of the generating curve and the velocity field is given in terms of the local coordinate directions, leading to a fully local and elegant mathematical structure. Several examples of increasing complexity are provided, and we demonstrate how biologically relevant structures such as logarithmic shells and horns emerge as analytical solutions of the kinematics equations with a small number of parameters that can be linked to the underlying growth process. Direct access to cell tracks and local orientation enables for connections to be made to the underlying growth process. © 2012 Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
CitationMoulton DE, Goriely A (2012) Surface growth kinematics via local curve evolution. Journal of Mathematical Biology 68: 81–108. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00285-012-0625-7.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported by Award No. KUK-C1-013-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), and based in part upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under grant DMS-0907773 (AG). AG is a Wolfson/Royal Society Merit Award Holder.
JournalJournal of Mathematical Biology
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- A universal power law for modelling the growth and form of teeth, claws, horns, thorns, beaks, and shells.
- Authors: Evans AR, Pollock TI, Cleuren SGC, Parker WMG, Richards HL, Garland KLS, Fitzgerald EMG, Wilson TE, Hocking DP, Adams JW
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 30
- Mechanical growth and morphogenesis of seashells.
- Authors: Moulton DE, Goriely A, Chirat R
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 21
- Kinematics of surface growth.
- Authors: Skalak R, Farrow DA, Hoger A
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- A computational framework for the morpho-elastic development of molluskan shells by surface and volume growth.
- Authors: Rudraraju S, Moulton DE, Chirat R, Goriely A, Garikipati K
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Computational analyses decipher the primordial folding coding the 3D structure of the beetle horn.
- Authors: Matsuda K, Gotoh H, Adachi H, Inoue Y, Kondo S
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 13