MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe objective of this work is to study the electrostatic response of materials accounting for boundary surfaces with their own (electrostatic) constitutive behaviour. The electric response of materials with (electrostatic) energetic boundary surfaces (surfaces that possess material properties and constitutive structures different from those of the bulk) is formulated in a consistent manner using a variational framework. The forces and moments that appear due to bulk and surface electric fields are also expressed in a consistent manner. The theory is accompanied by numerical examples on porous materials using the finite-element method, where the influence of the surface electric permittivity on the electric displacement, the polarization stress and the Maxwell stress is examined.
CitationChatzigeorgiou G, Javili A, Steinmann P (2014) Surface electrostatics: theory and computations. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 470: 20130628–20130628. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2013.0628.
SponsorsThe support of this work by the ERC Advanced Grant MOCOPOLY is gratefully acknowledged. The first author would like to acknowledge the support by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) project NumPor.
PublisherThe Royal Society
PubMed Central IDPMC3928956
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Electrostatics of liquid interfaces.
- Authors: Matyushov DV
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 14
- A robust and accurate formulation of molecular and colloidal electrostatics.
- Authors: Sun Q, Klaseboer E, Chan DY
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 7
- The polarized interface between quadrupolar insulators: Maxwell stress tensor, surface tension, and potential.
- Authors: Slavchov RI, Dimitrova IM, Ivanov T
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 21
- Protein electrostatics: a review of the equations and methods used to model electrostatic equations in biomolecules--applications in biotechnology.
- Authors: Neves-Petersen MT, Petersen SB
- Issue date: 2003
- A variational formulation of electrostatics in a medium with spatially varying dielectric permittivity.
- Authors: Jadhao V, Solis FJ, Olvera de la Cruz M
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 7