Supersensitive, Fast-Response Nanowire Sensors by Using Schottky Contacts
Online Publication Date2010-05-31
Print Publication Date2010-08-10
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599803
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA Schottky barrier can be formed at the interface between a metal electrode and a semiconductor. The current passing through the metal-semiconductor contact is mainly controlled by the barrier height and barrier width. In conventional nanodevices, Schottky contacts are usually avoided in order to enhance the contribution made by the nanowires or nanotubes to the detected signal. We present a key idea of using the Schottky contact to achieve supersensitive and fast response nanowire-based nanosensors. We have illustrated this idea on several platforms: UV sensors, biosensors, and gas sensors. The gigantic enhancement in sensitivity of up to 5 orders of magnitude shows that an effective usage of the Schottky contact can be very beneficial to the sensitivity of nanosensors. © 2010 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationHu Y, Zhou J, Yeh P-H, Li Z, Wei T-Y, et al. (2010) Supersensitive, Fast-Response Nanowire Sensors by Using Schottky Contacts. Advanced Materials 22: 3327–3332. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201000278.
SponsorsThis research was supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) (DMS 0706436, CMMI 0403671, ENG/CMMI 112024), DARPA (Army/AMCOM/REDSTONE AR, W31P4Q-08-1-0009), BES DOE (DE-FG02-07ER46394), Air Force Office (FA9550-08-1-0446), DARPA/ARO W911NF-08-1-0249, KAUST Global Research Partnership, and the World Premier International Research Center (WPI) Initiative on Materials Nanoarchitectonics, MEXT, Japan.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Stability of Schottky and Ohmic Au Nanocatalysts to ZnO Nanowires.
- Authors: Lord AM, Ramasse QM, Kepaptsoglou DM, Periwal P, Ross FM, Wilks SP
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 8
- ZnO nanobelt/nanowire Schottky diodes formed by dielectrophoresis alignment across au electrodes.
- Authors: Lao CS, Liu J, Gao P, Zhang L, Davidovic D, Tummala R, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Electrical characterization of ZnO single nanowire device for chemical sensor application.
- Authors: Kim EK, Lee HY, Moon SE, Park J, Park SJ, Kwak JH, Maeng S, Park KH, Kim J, Kim SW, Ji HJ, Kim GT
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Piezotronic effect on the sensitivity and signal level of Schottky contacted proactive micro/nanowire nanosensors.
- Authors: Pan C, Yu R, Niu S, Zhu G, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 26
- Gigantic enhancement in sensitivity using Schottky contacted nanowire nanosensor.
- Authors: Wei TY, Yeh PH, Lu SY, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 9