Sum Frequency Generation Vibrational Spectroscopy of 1,3-Butadiene Hydrogenation on 4 nm Pt@SiO 2 , Pd@SiO 2 , and Rh@SiO 2 Core–Shell Catalysts
AuthorsKrier, James M.
Michalak, William D.
Somorjai, Gabor A.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2014 American Chemical Society. 1,3-Butadiene (1,3-BD) hydrogenation was performed on 4 nm Pt, Pd, and Rh nanoparticles (NPs) encapsulated in SiO2 shells at 20, 60, and 100 °C. The core-shells were grown around polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) coated NPs (Stöber encapsulation) prepared by colloidal synthesis. Sum frequency generation (SFG) vibrational spectroscopy was performed to correlate surface intermediates observed in situ with reaction selectivity. It is shown that calcination is effective in removing PVP, and the SFG signal can be generated from the metal surface. Using SFG, it is possible to compare the surface vibrational spectrum of Pt@SiO2 (1,3-BD is hydrogenated through multiple paths and produces butane, 1-butene, and cis/trans-2-butene) to Pd@SiO2 (1,3-BD favors one path and produces 1-butene and cis/trans-2-butene). In contrast to Pt@SiO2 and Pd@SiO2, SFG and kinetic experiments of Rh@SiO2 show a permanent accumulation of organic material.
CitationKrier JM, Michalak WD, Cai X, Carl L, Komvopoulos K, et al. (2015) Sum Frequency Generation Vibrational Spectroscopy of 1,3-Butadiene Hydrogenation on 4 nm Pt@SiO 2 , Pd@SiO 2 , and Rh@SiO 2 Core–Shell Catalysts . Nano Lett 15: 39–44. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl502566b.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the Director, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Materials Sciences and Engineering Division of the U.S. Department of Energy under Contract No. DE-AC02-05CH11231. One of the authors (K.K.) also acknowledges funding provided by the UCB-KAUST Academic Excellence Alliance (AEA) Program for this research.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Selective amplification of C=O bond hydrogenation on Pt/TiO₂: catalytic reaction and sum-frequency generation vibrational spectroscopy studies of crotonaldehyde hydrogenation.
- Authors: Kennedy G, Baker LR, Somorjai GA
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 24
- Hydrogenation of the alpha,beta-unsaturated aldehydes acrolein, crotonaldehyde, and prenal over Pt single crystals: a kinetic and sum-frequency generation vibrational spectroscopy study.
- Authors: Kliewer CJ, Bieri M, Somorjai GA
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 29
- High-temperature catalytic reforming of n-hexane over supported and core-shell Pt nanoparticle catalysts: role of oxide-metal interface and thermal stability.
- Authors: An K, Zhang Q, Alayoglu S, Musselwhite N, Shin JY, Somorjai GA
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 13
- Furan hydrogenation over Pt(111) and Pt(100) single-crystal surfaces and Pt nanoparticles from 1 to 7 nm: a kinetic and sum frequency generation vibrational spectroscopy study.
- Authors: Kliewer CJ, Aliaga C, Bieri M, Huang W, Tsung CK, Wood JB, Komvopoulos K, Somorjai GA
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 22
- Furfuraldehyde hydrogenation on titanium oxide-supported platinum nanoparticles studied by sum frequency generation vibrational spectroscopy: acid-base catalysis explains the molecular origin of strong metal-support interactions.
- Authors: Baker LR, Kennedy G, Van Spronsen M, Hervier A, Cai X, Chen S, Wang LW, Somorjai GA
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 29