KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe derive the radial distribution function and the static structure factor for the particles in model nanoparticleorganic hybrid materials composed of nanoparticles and attached oligomeric chains in the absence of an intervening solvent. The assumption that the oligomers form an incompressible fluid of bead-chains attached to the particles that is at equilibrium for a given particle configuration allows us to apply a density functional theory for determining the equilibrium configuration of oligomers as well as the distribution function of the particles. A quasi-analytic solution is facilitated by a regular perturbation analysis valid when the oligomer radius of gyration R g is much greater than the particle radius a. The results show that the constraint that each particle carries its own share of the fluid attached to itself yields a static structure factor that approaches zero as the wavenumber approaches zero. This result indicates that each particle excludes exactly one other particle from its neighborhood. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationYu H-Y, Koch DL (2010) Structure of Solvent-Free Nanoparticle−Organic Hybrid Materials. Langmuir 26: 16801–16811. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/la102815r.
SponsorsThis work was supported by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Predicting the disorder-order transition of solvent-free nanoparticle-organic hybrid materials.
- Authors: Yu HY, Koch DL
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 2
- Structure of solvent-free grafted nanoparticles: molecular dynamics and density-functional theory.
- Authors: Chremos A, Panagiotopoulos AZ, Yu HY, Koch DL
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 21
- Structure factor of blends of solvent-free nanoparticle-organic hybrid materials: density-functional theory and small angle X-ray scattering.
- Authors: Yu HY, Srivastava S, Archer LA, Koch DL
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 7
- Self-assembly of patchy particles into polymer chains: a parameter-free comparison between Wertheim theory and Monte Carlo simulation.
- Authors: Sciortino F, Bianchi E, Douglas JF, Tartaglia P
- Issue date: 2007 May 21
- Probability distribution of the radius of gyration of freely jointed chains.
- Authors: Lei J
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 14