KAUST Grant NumberKUK-I1-012-43
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599758
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe immunoglobulin λ isotype is present in nearly all vertebrates and plays an important role in the human immune system. Despite its importance, few systematic studies have been performed to analyze the structural conformation of its variable regions, contrary to what is the case for κ and heavy chains. We show here that an analysis of the structures of λ chains allows the definition of a discrete set of recurring conformations (canonical structures) of their hypervariable loops and, most importantly, the identification of sequence constraints that can be used to predict their structure. We also show that the structural repertoire of λ chains is different and more varied than that of the κ chains, consistently with the current view of the involvement of the two major light-chain families in complementary strategies of the immune system to ensure a fine tuning between diversity and stability in antigen recognition. © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
CitationChailyan A, Marcatili P, Cirillo D, Tramontano A (2011) Structural repertoire of immunoglobulin λ light chains. Proteins: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics 79: 1513–1524. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/prot.22979.
SponsorsGrant sponsor: King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST); Grant number: KUK-I1-012-43; Grant sponsor: Ministero della Salute; Grant number: RF-IDI-2006-354931; Grant sponsor: FIRB Italbionet and Proteomica
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Conformations of the third hypervariable region in the VH domain of immunoglobulins.
- Authors: Morea V, Tramontano A, Rustici M, Chothia C, Lesk AM
- Issue date: 1998 Jan 16
- The creation of diversity in the human immunoglobulin V(lambda) repertoire.
- Authors: Ignatovich O, Tomlinson IM, Jones PT, Winter G
- Issue date: 1997 Apr 25
- Bovine IgM antibodies with exceptionally long complementarity-determining region 3 of the heavy chain share unique structural properties conferring restricted VH + Vlambda pairings.
- Authors: Saini SS, Farrugia W, Ramsland PA, Kaushik AK
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- Conformational similarity and systematic displacement of complementarity determining region loops in high resolution antibody x-ray structures.
- Authors: Bajorath J, Harris L, Novotny J
- Issue date: 1995 Sep 22
- Conformation of complementarity determining region L1 loop in murine IgG lambda light chain extends the repertoire of canonical forms.
- Authors: Wu S, Cygler M
- Issue date: 1993 Feb 5