KAUST Grant NumberKUK-FI-037-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599746
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe introduce a simple yet robust method of fabricating a stretchable, adhesion-tunable dry adhesive by combining replica molding and surface wrinkling. By utilizing a thin, wrinkled polydimethyl siloxane (PDMS) sheet with a thickness of 1 mm with built-in micropillars, active, dynamic control of normal and shear adhesion was achieved. Relatively strong normal (∼10.8 N/cm2) and shear adhesion (∼14.7 N/cm2) forces could be obtained for a fully extended (strained) PDMS sheet (prestrain of∼3%), whereas the forces could be rapidly reduced to nearly zero once the prestrain was released (prestrain of ∼0.5%). Moreover, durability tests demonstrated that the adhesion strength in both the normal and shear directions was maintained over more than 100 cycles of attachment and detachment. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationJeong HE, Kwak MK, Suh KY (2010) Stretchable, Adhesion-Tunable Dry Adhesive by Surface Wrinkling. Langmuir 26: 2223–2226. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/la904290g.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) program (no. KUK-FI-037-02), the Korea Science & Engineering Foundation through the Nano R&D Program (grant 200702605),and the WCU (World Class University) program through the Korea Science and Engineering Foundation funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (R31-2008-000-10083-0)
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Enhanced skin adhesive patch with modulus-tunable composite micropillars.
- Authors: Bae WG, Kim D, Kwak MK, Ha L, Kang SM, Suh KY
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Anisotropic adhesion properties of triangular-tip-shaped micropillars.
- Authors: Kwak MK, Jeong HE, Bae WG, Jung HS, Suh KY
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 22
- Controlling the morphology of gold films on poly(dimethylsiloxane).
- Authors: Graudejus O, Görrn P, Wagner S
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Targeted cell adhesion on selectively micropatterned polymer arrays on a poly(dimethylsiloxane) surface.
- Authors: Tang L, Min J, Lee EC, Kim JS, Lee NY
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Wrinkled, dual-scale structures of diamond-like carbon (DLC) for superhydrophobicity.
- Authors: Rahmawan Y, Moon MW, Kim KS, Lee KR, Suh KY
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 5