Stable π-Extended p -Quinodimethanes: Synthesis and Tunable Ground States
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599722
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2014 The Chemical Society of Japan and Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim. p-Quinodimethane (p-QDM) is a highly reactive hydrocarbon showing large biradical character in the ground state. It has been demonstrated that incorporation of the p-QDM moiety into an aromatic hydrocarbon framework could lead to new π-conjugated systems with significant biradical character and unique optical, electronic and magnetic properties. On the other hand, the extension of p-QDM is expected to result in molecules with even larger biradical character and higher reactivity. Therefore, the synthesis of stable π-extended p-QDMs is very challenging. In this Personal Account we will briefly discuss different stabilizing strategies and synthetic methods towards stable π-extended p-QDMs with tunable ground states and physical properties, including two types of polycyclic hydrocarbons: (1) tetrabenzo-Tschitschibabin's hydrocarbons, and (2) tetracyano-rylenequinodimethanes. We will discuss how the aromaticity, substituents and steric hindrance play important roles in determining their ground states and properties. Incorporation of the p-quinodimethane moiety into aromatic hydrocarbon frameworks can lead to new π-conjugated systems with significant biradical character and unique optical, electronic and magnetic properties. Furthermore, the extension of p-QDM is expected to result in molecules with even larger biradical character and higher reactivity. In this Personal Account, different stabilizing strategies and synthetic methods towards stable π-extended p-QDMs with tunable ground states and physical properties are briefly discussed, including the roles of aromaticity, substituents and steric hindrance.
CitationZeng Z, Wu J (2014) Stable π-Extended p -Quinodimethanes: Synthesis and Tunable Ground States . The Chemical Record 15: 322–328. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tcr.201402075.
SponsorsWe acknowledge financial support from MOE Tier 2 grants (MOE2011-T2-2-130 and MOE2014-T2-1-080), MINDEF-NUS JPP Grant (12-02-05) and A*STAR JCO grant (1431AFG100). We would like to say special thanks to our major collaborators, Professor D.-H. Kim at Yonsei University, Professors J. Casado and J. T. López Navarrete at Malaga University, Professor J. Ding at NUS and Professor K. Huang at KAUST for their valuable contributions to this project.
JournalThe Chemical Record
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Pushing extended p-quinodimethanes to the limit: stable tetracyano-oligo(N-annulated perylene)quinodimethanes with tunable ground states.
- Authors: Zeng Z, Ishida M, Zafra JL, Zhu X, Sung YM, Bao N, Webster RD, Lee BS, Li RW, Zeng W, Li Y, Chi C, López Navarrete JT, Ding J, Casado J, Kim D, Wu J
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 24
- Zethrenes, extended p-quinodimethanes, and periacenes with a singlet biradical ground state.
- Authors: Sun Z, Zeng Z, Wu J
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 19
- para-Quinodimethane-bridged perylene dimers and pericondensed quaterrylenes: the effect of the fusion mode on the ground states and physical properties.
- Authors: Das S, Lee S, Son M, Zhu X, Zhang W, Zheng B, Hu P, Zeng Z, Sun Z, Zeng W, Li RW, Huang KW, Ding J, Kim D, Wu J
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 1
- Stable tetrabenzo-Chichibabin's hydrocarbons: tunable ground state and unusual transition between their closed-shell and open-shell resonance forms.
- Authors: Zeng Z, Sung YM, Bao N, Tan D, Lee R, Zafra JL, Lee BS, Ishida M, Ding J, López Navarrete JT, Li Y, Zeng W, Kim D, Huang KW, Webster RD, Casado J, Wu J
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 5
- Benzenoid polycyclic hydrocarbons with an open-shell biradical ground state.
- Authors: Sun Z, Zeng Z, Wu J
- Issue date: 2013 Dec