Online Publication Date2013-07-26
Print Publication Date2013-08-13
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599703
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTheoretical calculations are presented on a new hypothetical 3,4-connected carbon net (called squaroglitter) incorporating 1,4 cyclohexadiene units. The structure has tetragonal space group P4/mmm (No. 123) symmetry. The optimized geometry shows normal distances, except for some elongated bonds in the cyclobutane ring substructures in the network. Squaroglitter has an indirect bandgap of about 1.0 eV. The hypothetical lattice, whose density is close to graphite, is more stable than other 3,4-connected carbon nets. A relationship to a (4,4)nanotube is explored, as is a potential threading of the lattice with metal needles. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
CitationPrasad DLVK, Gerovac NM, Bucknum MJ, Hoffmann R (2013) Squaroglitter: A 3,4-Connected Carbon Net. Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation 9: 3855–3859. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ct4004367.
SponsorsOur work at Cornell was supported by the National Science Foundation, through research grant CHE-0910623 and Efree (an Energy Frontier Research Center funded by the Department of Energy (Award Number DESC0001057 at Cornell). We acknowledge the computational resources provided by Efree, by the XSEDE network (provided by the National Center for Supercomputer Applications through Grant TG-DMR060055N), KAUST (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology) supercomputing laboratory, and by Cornell’s NanoScale Facility (supported by the National Science Foundation through Grant ECS-0335765).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Guest modulation of spin-crossover transition temperature in a porous iron(II) metal-organic framework: experimental and periodic DFT studies.
- Authors: Aravena D, Castillo ZA, Muñoz MC, Gaspar AB, Yoneda K, Ohtani R, Mishima A, Kitagawa S, Ohba M, Real JA, Ruiz E
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 26
- The Carbon Allotrope Hexagonite and Its Potential Synthesis from Cold Compression of Carbon Nanotubes.
- Authors: Bucknum MJ, Castro EA
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Electronic structure and energetics of tetragonal SrCuO₂ and its high-pressure superstructure phase.
- Authors: Wang J, Rak Z, Zhang F, Ewing RC, Becker U
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 23
- Structural stabilities and electronic properties of planar C4 carbon sheet and nanoribbons.
- Authors: Wang XQ, Li HD, Wang JT
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 21
- ThPt2: A New Representative of Close Packed Tetragonal Structures.
- Authors: Gumeniuk R, Schnelle W, Burkhardt U, Borrmann H, Nicklas M, Ormeci A, Kohout M, Leithe-Jasper A, Grin Y
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 6