Spin-polarized transport through single-molecule magnet Mn6 complexes
KAUST Grant NumberFIC/2010/08
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599694
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe coherent transport properties of a device, constructed by sandwiching a Mn6 single-molecule magnet between two gold surfaces, are studied theoretically by using the non-equilibrium Green's function approach combined with density functional theory. Two spin states of such Mn6 complexes are explored, namely the ferromagnetically coupled configuration of the six MnIII cations, leading to the S = 12 ground state, and the low S = 4 spin state. For voltages up to 1 volt the S = 12 ground state shows a current one order of magnitude larger than that of the S = 4 state. Furthermore this is almost completely spin-polarized, since the Mn6 frontier molecular orbitals for S = 12 belong to the same spin manifold. As such the high-anisotropy Mn6 molecule appears as a promising candidate for implementing, at the single molecular level, both spin-switches and low-temperature spin-valves. © 2013 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
CitationCremades E, Pemmaraju CD, Sanvito S, Ruiz E (2013) Spin-polarized transport through single-molecule magnet Mn6 complexes. Nanoscale 5: 4751. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c3nr00054k.
SponsorsThe research has been supported by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovacion and Generalitat de Catalunya through grants CTQ2011-23862-C02-01 and 2009SGR-1459, respectively. E. C. thanks Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovacion for a predoctoral fellowship and for funding his stay in Dublin. C. D. P. and S. S. thank additional funding support from Science Foundation of Ireland (grant no. 07/IN/I945), by KAUST (FIC/2010/08) and by CRANN. The authors thankfully acknowledge the computer resources, technical expertise and assistance provided by the Barcelona Supercomputer Center.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Spin resolved photoelectron spectroscopy of [Mn6(III)Cr(III)]3+ single-molecule magnets and of manganese compounds as reference layers.
- Authors: Helmstedt A, Müller N, Gryzia A, Dohmeier N, Brechling A, Sacher MD, Heinzmann U, Hoeke V, Krickemeyer E, Glaser T, Bouvron S, Fonin M, Neumann M
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 6
- Spin-dependent thermoelectronic transport of a single molecule magnet Mn(dmit)2.
- Authors: Su Z, An Y, Wei X, Yang Z
- Issue date: 2014 May 28
- Coherent transport through spin-crossover magnet Fe2 complexes.
- Authors: Huang J, Xie R, Wang W, Li Q, Yang J
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 7
- A family of [Mn6] complexes featuring tripodal ligands.
- Authors: Milios CJ, Manoli M, Rajaraman G, Mishra A, Budd LE, White F, Parsons S, Wernsdorfer W, Christou G, Brechin EK
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 21
- Single-chain magnet (NEt4)[Mn2(5-MeOsalen)2Fe(CN)6] Made of Mn(III)-Fe(III)-Mn(III) trinuclear single-molecule magnet with an S(T) = 9/2 spin ground state.
- Authors: Ferbinteanu M, Miyasaka H, Wernsdorfer W, Nakata K, Sugiura K, Yamashita M, Coulon C, Clérac R
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 9