Solution-Phase Synthesis of SnSe Nanocrystals for Use in Solar Cells
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNanocrystals of phase-pure tin(II) selenide (SnSe) were synthesized via a solution-phase route employing stoichiometric amounts of di-tert-butyl dlselenlde as a novel and facile selenium source. The direct band gap of the resulting nanocrystals (E8 = 1.71 eV) is significantly blue-shifted relative to the bulk value (E8 = 1.30 eV), a likely consequence of quantum confinement resulting from the relatively small average diameter of the nanocrystals (μD < 20 nm). Preliminary solar cell devices incorporating SnSe nanocrystals into a poly[2-methoxy5-(3',7'-d1methyloctyloxy)-1,4- phenylenev1nylene] matrix demonstrate a significant enhancement In quantum efficiency and short-circuit current density, suggesting that this earth-abundant material could be a valuable component In future photovoltaic devices. Copyright © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationFranzman MA, Schlenker CW, Thompson ME, Brutchey RL (2010) Solution-Phase Synthesis of SnSe Nanocrystals for Use in Solar Cells. Journal of the American Chemical Society 132: 4060–4061. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja100249m.
SponsorsThis material is based on work supported by the National Science Foundation under DMR-0906745. M.A.F. was supported as part of the Center for Energy Nanoscience, an Energy Frontier Research Center funded by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, under Award DE-SC0001013. C.W.S. was supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (CAMP) (KUS-C1-015-21), made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) and Global Photonic Energy Corporation.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Synthesis and characterization of wurtzite-phase copper tin selenide nanocrystals.
- Authors: Norako ME, Greaney MJ, Brutchey RL
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 11
- Solution-based synthesis and characterization of Cu2ZnSnS4 nanocrystals.
- Authors: Riha SC, Parkinson BA, Prieto AL
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 2
- Tin and germanium monochalcogenide IV-VI semiconductor nanocrystals for use in solar cells.
- Authors: Antunez PD, Buckley JJ, Brutchey RL
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- SnSe nanocrystals: synthesis, structure, optical properties, and surface chemistry.
- Authors: Baumgardner WJ, Choi JJ, Lim YF, Hanrath T
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 21
- CuInSe2 Quantum Dot Solar Cells with High Open-Circuit Voltage.
- Authors: Panthani MG, Stolle CJ, Reid DK, Rhee DJ, Harvey TB, Akhavan VA, Yu Y, Korgel BA
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 20