KAUST Grant NumberKUS-11-001-12
Online Publication Date2010-03-04
Print Publication Date2010-03-23
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599663
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractComposite electrodes composed of silicon nanowires synthesized using the supercritical fluid-liquid-solid (SFLS) method mixed with amorphous carbon or carbon nanotubes were evaluated as Li-ion battery anodes. Carbon coating of the silicon nanowires using the pyrolysis of sugar was found to be crucial for making good electronic contact to the material. Using multiwalled carbon nanotubes as the conducting additive was found to be more effective for obtaining good cycling behavior than using amorphous carbon. Reversible capacities of 1500 mAh/g were observed for 30 cycles. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationChan CK, Patel RN, O’Connell MJ, Korgel BA, Cui Y (2010) Solution-Grown Silicon Nanowires for Lithium-Ion Battery Anodes. ACS Nano 4: 1443–1450. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn901409q.
SponsorsThe authors thank Z. Chen for assistance with the Raman spectroscopy measurements, and F. La Mantia for assistance with the TGA measurements. C.K.C. acknowledges support from the National Science Foundation and Stanford Graduate Fellowships. Y.C. acknowledges support from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Investigator Award (No. KUS-11-001-12). R.N.P. and B.A.K. acknowledge funding from a DOE Energy Frontier Research Center Award (DESC-001091).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Carbon-silicon core-shell nanowires as high capacity electrode for lithium ion batteries.
- Authors: Cui LF, Yang Y, Hsu CM, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Nanostructured hybrid silicon/carbon nanotube heterostructures: reversible high-capacity lithium-ion anodes.
- Authors: Wang W, Kumta PN
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 27
- High-performance lithium battery anodes using silicon nanowires.
- Authors: Chan CK, Peng H, Liu G, McIlwrath K, Zhang XF, Huggins RA, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Crystalline-amorphous core-shell silicon nanowires for high capacity and high current battery electrodes.
- Authors: Cui LF, Ruffo R, Chan CK, Peng H, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Silicon nanowire fabric as a lithium ion battery electrode material.
- Authors: Chockla AM, Harris JT, Akhavan VA, Bogart TD, Holmberg VC, Steinhagen C, Mullins CB, Stevenson KJ, Korgel BA
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 28