SnSe Nanocrystals: Synthesis, Structure, Optical Properties, and Surface Chemistry
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599651
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe colloidal synthesis of SnSe nanoparticles is accomplished through the injection of bis[bis(trimethylsilyl)amino]tin(II) into hot trioctylphosphine: selenium in the presence of oleylamine. Through the manipulation of reaction temperature particles are grown with the average diameter reliably tuned to 4-10 nm. Quantum confinement is examined by establishing a relationship between particle size and band gap while the in depth growth dynamics are illuminated through UV-vis-NIR spectroscopy. Surface chemistry effects are explored, including the demonstration of useful ligand exchanges and the development of routes toward anisotropic particle growth. Finally, transient current-voltage properties of SnSe nanocrystal films in the dark and light are examined. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationBaumgardner WJ, Choi JJ, Lim Y-F, Hanrath T (2010) SnSe Nanocrystals: Synthesis, Structure, Optical Properties, and Surface Chemistry. Journal of the American Chemical Society 132: 9519–9521. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja1013745.
SponsorsWe thank the KAUST-CU Center for Energy and Sustainability for support. TEM and XRD characterization was performed at the Cornell Center for Materials Science. We thank the Dichtel research group at Cornell for use of their spectrophotometer. We thank Prof. Hector Abruna and Stephen Burkhardt for helpful discussions and assistance with cyclic voltammetry measurements.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Solution-phase synthesis of SnSe nanocrystals for use in solar cells.
- Authors: Franzman MA, Schlenker CW, Thompson ME, Brutchey RL
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 31
- Photoassisted tuning of silicon nanocrystal photoluminescence.
- Authors: Choi J, Wang NS, Reipa V
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 13
- Band gap and composition engineering on a nanocrystal (BCEN) in solution.
- Authors: Peng X
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 16
- The effect of nanocrystal surface structure on the luminescence properties: photoemission study of HF-etched InP nanocrystals.
- Authors: Adam S, Talapin DV, Borchert H, Lobo A, McGinley C, de Castro AR, Haase M, Weller H, Möller T
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 22
- Colloidal chemical synthesis and formation kinetics of uniformly sized nanocrystals of metals, oxides, and chalcogenides.
- Authors: Kwon SG, Hyeon T
- Issue date: 2008 Dec