Size Scaling and Bursting Activity in Thermally Activated Breakdown of Fiber Bundles
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-I1-005-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599646
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe study subcritical fracture driven by thermally activated damage accumulation in the framework of fiber bundle models. We show that in the presence of stress inhomogeneities, thermally activated cracking results in an anomalous size effect; i.e., the average lifetime tf decreases as a power law of the system size tf ∼L-z, where the exponent z depends on the external load σ and on the temperature T in the form z∼f(σ/T3/2). We propose a modified form of the Arrhenius law which provides a comprehensive description of thermally activated breakdown. Thermal fluctuations trigger bursts of breakings which have a power law size distribution. © 2008 The American Physical Society.
CitationYoshioka N, Kun F, Ito N (2008) Size Scaling and Bursting Activity in Thermally Activated Breakdown of Fiber Bundles. Physical Review Letters 101. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.101.145502.
SponsorsWe thank the Supercomputer Center of the Institute of Solid State Physics, University of Tokyo for the use of their facilities. N. Y. was supported by the 21st Century COE Program Applied Physics on Strong Correlation. F. K. was supported by the OTKA T049209. This work is supported by the JSPS ( No. 19340110) and the Global Research Partnership of KAUST (KUK-I1-005-04).
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Time-dependent fiber bundles with local load sharing. II. General Weibull fibers.
- Authors: Phoenix SL, Newman WI
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Kinetic Monte Carlo algorithm for thermally induced breakdown of fiber bundles.
- Authors: Yoshioka N, Kun F, Ito N
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Failure process of a bundle of plastic fibers.
- Authors: Raischel F, Kun F, Herrmann HJ
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Competition of strength and stress disorder in creep rupture.
- Authors: Halász Z, Danku Z, Kun F
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Scaling forms for relaxation times of the fiber bundle model.
- Authors: Roy C, Kundu S, Manna SS
- Issue date: 2013 Jun