Simultaneous water desalination and electricity generation in a microbial desalination cell with electrolyte recirculation for pH control
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-I1-003-13
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599631
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA recirculation microbial desalination cell (rMDC) was designed and operated to allow recirculation of solutions between the anode and cathode chambers. This recirculation avoided pH imbalances that could inhibit bacterial metabolism. The maximum power density was 931±29mW/m 2 with a 50mM phosphate buffer solution (PBS) and 776±30mW/m 2 with 25mM PBS. These power densities were higher than those obtained without recirculation of 698±10mW/m 2 (50mM PBS) and 508±11mW/m 2 (25mM PBS). The salt solution (20g/L NaCl) was reduced in salinity by 34±1% (50mM) and 37±2% (25mM) with recirculation (rMDC), and by 39±1% (50mM) and 25±3% (25mM) without recirculation (MDC). These results show that electrolyte recirculation using an rMDC is an effective method to increase power and achieve efficient desalination by eliminating pH imbalances. © 2011 Elsevier Ltd.
CitationQu Y, Feng Y, Wang X, Liu J, Lv J, et al. (2012) Simultaneous water desalination and electricity generation in a microbial desalination cell with electrolyte recirculation for pH control. Bioresource Technology 106: 89–94. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2011.11.045.
SponsorsThe research was supported by the State Key Laboratory of Urban Water Resource and Environment, Harbin Institute of Technology (HC200901). The authors also thank the National Innovation Team supported by the National Science Foundation of China (No. 50821002) (51108116), the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars of China (51125033), and the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) (Award KUS-I1-003-13). The technical assistance of Prof. Yu Li is also highly appreciated.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Concurrent desalination and hydrogen generation using microbial electrolysis and desalination cells.
- Authors: Luo H, Jenkins PE, Ren Z
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 1
- A new method for water desalination using microbial desalination cells.
- Authors: Cao X, Huang X, Liang P, Xiao K, Zhou Y, Zhang X, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 15
- Sustainable water desalination and electricity generation in a separator coupled stacked microbial desalination cell with buffer free electrolyte circulation.
- Authors: Chen X, Liang P, Wei Z, Zhang X, Huang X
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Microbial electrodialysis cell for simultaneous water desalination and hydrogen gas production.
- Authors: Mehanna M, Kiely PD, Call DF, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15
- Microbial desalination cells for improved performance in wastewater treatment, electricity production, and desalination.
- Authors: Luo H, Xu P, Roane TM, Jenkins PE, Ren Z
- Issue date: 2012 Feb