DiSalvo, Francis J.
Giannelis, Emmanuel P.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599583
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present the synthesis and characterization of a new class of self-suspended ferrofluids that exhibit remanent magnetization at room temperature. Our system relies on the chemisorption of a thiol-terminated ionic liquid with very low melting point on the surface of L10 FePt nanoparticles. In contrast, all types of ferrofluids previously reported employ either volatile solvents as the suspending media or superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (that lacks permanent magnetization) as the inorganic component. The ferrofluids do not show any sign of flocculation or phase separation, despite the strong interactions between the magnetic nanoparticles due to the strong chemisorption of the ionic liquid as evidenced by Raman spectroscopy and thermal analysis. Composites with high FePt loading (40 and 70. wt%) exhibit a pseudo solid-like rheological behavior and high remanent magnetization values (10.1 and 12.8. emu/g respectively). At lower FePt loading (12. wt%) a liquid like behavior is observed and the remanent and saturation magnetization values are 3.5 and 6.2. emu/g, respectively. The magnetic and flow properties of the materials can be easily fine tuned by controlling the type and amount of FePt nanoparticles used. © 2013 Elsevier Inc.
CitationDallas P, Kelarakis A, Sahore R, DiSalvo FJ, Livi S, et al. (2013) Self-suspended permanent magnetic FePt ferrofluids. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 407: 1–7. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2013.06.024.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work supported in part by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Halide Ion-Mediated Synthesis of L1<sub>0</sub>-FePt Nanoparticles with Tunable Magnetic Properties.
- Authors: Lei W, Xu J, Yu Y, Yang W, Hou Y, Chen D
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 19
- Block copolymer directed one-pot simple synthesis of L10-phase FePt nanoparticles inside ordered mesoporous aluminosilicate/carbon composites.
- Authors: Kang E, Jung H, Park JG, Kwon S, Shim J, Sai H, Wiesner U, Kim JK, Lee J
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 22
- Stable and water-tolerant ionic liquid ferrofluids.
- Authors: Jain N, Zhang X, Hawkett BS, Warr GG
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Synthesis of Ferrofluids Made of Iron Oxide Nanoflowers: Interplay between Carrier Fluid and Magnetic Properties.
- Authors: Spizzo F, Sgarbossa P, Sieni E, Semenzato A, Dughiero F, Forzan M, Bertani R, Del Bianco L
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 5
- Novel nanohybrids derived from the attachment of FePt nanoparticles on carbon nanotubes.
- Authors: Tsoufis T, Tomou A, Gournis D, Douvalis AP, Panagiotopoulos I, Kooi B, Georgakilas V, Arfaoui I, Bakas T
- Issue date: 2008 Nov