Self-assembly of linear [Mn II 2 Mn III ] units with end-on azido bridges: the construction of a ferromagnetic chain using S T = 7 high-spin trimers
KAUST Grant NumberCRG-1-2012-LAI-009
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599579
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© The Royal Society of Chemistry 2015. The controlled organization of high-spin complexes into 1D coordination polymers is a challenge in molecular magnetism. In this work, we report a ferromagnetic Mn trimer Mn3(HL)2(CH3OH)6(Br)4·Br·(CH3OH)21 (H2L = 2-[(9H-fluoren-9-yl)amino]propane-1,3-diol) with the ground spin state of ST = 7 that can be assembled into a one-dimensional coordination chain [Mn3(HL)2(CH3OH)2(Br)4(N3)(H2O)·CH3OH]∞2 using azido bridging ligands. Interestingly, the ferromagnetic nature of 1 is well retained in 2. However, due to the negligible magnetic anisotropy in 1, both 1 and 2 do not show slow-relaxation of magnetization, which indicates that during the process of molecular assembly not only the intratrimer magnetic interaction but also the magnetic anisotropy of the trimer can be reserved.
CitationJiang Y, Qin L, Li G, Abbas G, Cao Y, et al. (2015) Self-assembly of linear [Mn II 2 Mn III ] units with end-on azido bridges: the construction of a ferromagnetic chain using S T = 7 high-spin trimers . Dalton Trans 44: 5205–5210. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c4dt02533d.
SponsorsThe authors thank the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21471066, 21390394, 21261130584, 91022030, 21201137), the National Basic Research Program of China (2012CB821700, 2011CB808703), "111" project (B07016), Award Project of KAUST (CRG-1-2012-LAI-009) and Ministry of Education, Science and Technology Development Center Project (20120061130012).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Synthesis of an S(T) = 7 [Mn3] mixed-valence complex based on 1,3-propanediol ligand derivatives and its one-dimensional assemblies.
- Authors: Huang J, Wu G, Bai J, Jiang Y, Li G, Qiu S, Clérac R
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 7
- Self-assembly of mixed-valence Co(II/III) and Ni(II) clusters: azide-bridged 1D single chain coordination polymers comprised of tetranuclear units, tetranuclear Co(II/III) complexes, ferromagnetically coupled azide-bridged tetranuclear, and hexanuclear Ni(II) complexes: synthesis, structural, and magnetic properties.
- Authors: Tandon SS, Bunge SD, Rakosi R, Xu Z, Thompson LK
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 7
- Magneto-structural correlations: synthesis of a family of end-on azido-bridged manganese(II) dinuclear compounds with S = 5 spin ground state.
- Authors: Karmakar TK, Ghosh BK, Usman A, Fun HK, Rivière E, Mallah T, Aromí G, Chandra SK
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 4
- Assembly of [Mn(II)2Mn(III)2] S = 9 clusters via azido bridges: a new single-chain magnet.
- Authors: Escuer A, Vlahopoulou G, Mautner FA
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 4
- Single-chain magnet (NEt4)[Mn2(5-MeOsalen)2Fe(CN)6] Made of Mn(III)-Fe(III)-Mn(III) trinuclear single-molecule magnet with an S(T) = 9/2 spin ground state.
- Authors: Ferbinteanu M, Miyasaka H, Wernsdorfer W, Nakata K, Sugiura K, Yamashita M, Coulon C, Clérac R
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 9