Resonant cavity enhanced light harvesting in flexible thin-film organic solar cells
AuthorsSergeant, Nicholas P.
Liu, Albert S.
Rand, Barry P.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDielectric/metal/dielectric (DMD) electrodes have the potential to significantly increase the absorption efficiency and photocurrent in flexible organic solar cells. We demonstrate that this enhancement is attributed to a broadband cavity resonance. Silver-based semitransparent DMD electrodes with sheet resistances below 10 ohm/sq. are fabricated on flexible polyethylene terephthalate (PET) substrates in a high-throughput roll-to-roll sputtering tool. We carefully study the effect of the semitransparent DMD electrode (here composed of ZnxSnyOz/Ag/InxSn yOz) on the optical device performance of a copper phthalocyanine (CuPc)/fullerene (C60) bilayer cell and illustrate that a resonant cavity enhanced light trapping effect dominates the optical behavior of the device. © 2013 Optical Society of America.
CitationSergeant NP, Niesen B, Liu AS, Boman L, Stoessel C, et al. (2013) Resonant cavity enhanced light harvesting in flexible thin-film organic solar cells. Opt Lett 38: 1431. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/ol.38.001431.
SponsorsThis work was partially supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No. KUS-C1-015-21), made possible by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. The authors thank Steve Smout for the patterning of the active device area.
PublisherThe Optical Society
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Ultrathin, high-efficiency, broad-band, omni-acceptance, organic solar cells enhanced by plasmonic cavity with subwavelength hole array.
- Authors: Chou SY, Ding W
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 14
- Broadband optical absorption enhancement through coherent light trapping in thin-film photovoltaic cells.
- Authors: Agrawal M, Peumans P
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 14
- Strong photocurrent enhancements in highly efficient flexible organic solar cells by adopting a microcavity configuration.
- Authors: Chen KS, Yip HL, Salinas JF, Xu YX, Chueh CC, Jen AK
- Issue date: 2014 May 28
- Semitransparent organic photovoltaic cells with laminated top electrode.
- Authors: Lee JY, Connor ST, Cui Y, Peumans P
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 14
- Optimization of Semitransparent Anode Electrode for Flexible Green and Red Phosphorescent Organic Light-Emitting Diodes.
- Authors: Lee HW, Park J, Yang HJ, Lee SE, Lee SJ, Koo JR, Kim HJ, Yoon SS, Kim YK
- Issue date: 2015 Mar