Resonant cavity enhanced light harvesting in flexible thin-film organic solar cells
AuthorsSergeant, Nicholas P.
Liu, Albert S.
Rand, Barry P.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599501
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDielectric/metal/dielectric (DMD) electrodes have the potential to significantly increase the absorption efficiency and photocurrent in flexible organic solar cells. We demonstrate that this enhancement is attributed to a broadband cavity resonance. Silver-based semitransparent DMD electrodes with sheet resistances below 10 ohm/sq. are fabricated on flexible polyethylene terephthalate (PET) substrates in a high-throughput roll-to-roll sputtering tool. We carefully study the effect of the semitransparent DMD electrode (here composed of ZnxSnyOz/Ag/InxSn yOz) on the optical device performance of a copper phthalocyanine (CuPc)/fullerene (C60) bilayer cell and illustrate that a resonant cavity enhanced light trapping effect dominates the optical behavior of the device. © 2013 Optical Society of America.
CitationSergeant NP, Niesen B, Liu AS, Boman L, Stoessel C, et al. (2013) Resonant cavity enhanced light harvesting in flexible thin-film organic solar cells. Opt Lett 38: 1431. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/ol.38.001431.
SponsorsThis work was partially supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No. KUS-C1-015-21), made possible by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. The authors thank Steve Smout for the patterning of the active device area.
PublisherThe Optical Society
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Ultrathin, high-efficiency, broad-band, omni-acceptance, organic solar cells enhanced by plasmonic cavity with subwavelength hole array.
- Authors: Chou SY, Ding W
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 14
- Strong photocurrent enhancements in highly efficient flexible organic solar cells by adopting a microcavity configuration.
- Authors: Chen KS, Yip HL, Salinas JF, Xu YX, Chueh CC, Jen AK
- Issue date: 2014 May 28
- Semitransparent organic photovoltaic cells with laminated top electrode.
- Authors: Lee JY, Connor ST, Cui Y, Peumans P
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 14
- High Performance Ultrathin MoO₃/Ag Transparent Electrode and Its Application in Semitransparent Organic Solar Cells.
- Authors: Shi L, Cui Y, Gao Y, Wang W, Zhang Y, Zhu F, Hao Y
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 27
- High efficiency thin upgraded metallurgical-grade silicon solar cells on flexible substrates.
- Authors: Kwon JY, Lee DH, Chitambar M, Maldonado S, Tuteja A, Boukai A
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 10