Resonant cavity enhanced light harvesting in flexible thin-film organic solar cells
AuthorsSergeant, Nicholas P.
Liu, Albert S.
Rand, Barry P.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-015-21
Online Publication Date2013-04-24
Print Publication Date2013-05-01
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599501
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDielectric/metal/dielectric (DMD) electrodes have the potential to significantly increase the absorption efficiency and photocurrent in flexible organic solar cells. We demonstrate that this enhancement is attributed to a broadband cavity resonance. Silver-based semitransparent DMD electrodes with sheet resistances below 10 ohm/sq. are fabricated on flexible polyethylene terephthalate (PET) substrates in a high-throughput roll-to-roll sputtering tool. We carefully study the effect of the semitransparent DMD electrode (here composed of ZnxSnyOz/Ag/InxSn yOz) on the optical device performance of a copper phthalocyanine (CuPc)/fullerene (C60) bilayer cell and illustrate that a resonant cavity enhanced light trapping effect dominates the optical behavior of the device. © 2013 Optical Society of America.
CitationSergeant NP, Niesen B, Liu AS, Boman L, Stoessel C, et al. (2013) Resonant cavity enhanced light harvesting in flexible thin-film organic solar cells. Opt Lett 38: 1431. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/ol.38.001431.
SponsorsThis work was partially supported by the Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics (Award No. KUS-C1-015-21), made possible by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. The authors thank Steve Smout for the patterning of the active device area.
PublisherThe Optical Society
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Ultrathin, high-efficiency, broad-band, omni-acceptance, organic solar cells enhanced by plasmonic cavity with subwavelength hole array.
- Authors: Chou SY, Ding W
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 14
- Semitransparent Perovskite Solar Cells with Enhanced Light Utilization Efficiencies by Transferable Ag Nanogrid Electrodes.
- Authors: Lee J, Shin B, Kim S, Cho SH, Jung Y, Park KT, Son C, Chu YH, Ryu DG, Yoon S, Choi M, Kim HY, Lee YS
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 2
- Flexible CuS nanotubes-ITO film Schottky junction solar cells with enhanced light harvesting by using an Ag mirror.
- Authors: Wu C, Zhang Z, Wu Y, Lv P, Nie B, Luo L, Wang L, Hu J, Jie J
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 1
- Widely applicable coinage metal window electrodes on flexible polyester substrates applied to organic photovoltaics.
- Authors: Stec HM, Hatton RA
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Enhanced photoelectrochemical water-splitting effect with a bent ZnO nanorod photo anode decorated with Ag nanoparticles.
- Authors: Wei Y, Ke L, Kong J, Liu H, Jiao Z, Lu X, Du H, Sun XW
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 15