Reduced Rank Mixed Effects Models for Spatially Correlated Hierarchical Functional Data
Huang, Jianhua Z.
Martinez, Josue G.
Carroll, Raymond J.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-CI-016-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599475
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHierarchical functional data are widely seen in complex studies where sub-units are nested within units, which in turn are nested within treatment groups. We propose a general framework of functional mixed effects model for such data: within unit and within sub-unit variations are modeled through two separate sets of principal components; the sub-unit level functions are allowed to be correlated. Penalized splines are used to model both the mean functions and the principal components functions, where roughness penalties are used to regularize the spline fit. An EM algorithm is developed to fit the model, while the specific covariance structure of the model is utilized for computational efficiency to avoid storage and inversion of large matrices. Our dimension reduction with principal components provides an effective solution to the difficult tasks of modeling the covariance kernel of a random function and modeling the correlation between functions. The proposed methodology is illustrated using simulations and an empirical data set from a colon carcinogenesis study. Supplemental materials are available online.
CitationZhou L, Huang JZ, Martinez JG, Maity A, Baladandayuthapani V, et al. (2010) Reduced Rank Mixed Effects Models for Spatially Correlated Hierarchical Functional Data. Journal of the American Statistical Association 105: 390–400. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1198/jasa.2010.tm08737.
SponsorsZhou and Martinez were supported by a postdoctoral training grant from the National Cancer Institute (CA90301) Zhou was also supported by NSF grant DMS-0907170 Huang was partially supported by NSF grants DMS-0606580, DMS-0907170 and the NCI grant CA57030 Carroll was partially supported by NCI grants CA57030, CA104620 Huang and Carroll's work was also supported by award number KUS-CI-016-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherInforma UK Limited
PubMed Central IDPMC2853971
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Bayesian hierarchical spatially correlated functional data analysis with application to colon carcinogenesis.
- Authors: Baladandayuthapani V, Mallick BK, Young Hong M, Lupton JR, Turner ND, Carroll RJ
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Functional Principal Component Analysis of Spatio-Temporal Point Processes with Applications in Disease Surveillance.
- Authors: Li Y, Guan Y
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 1
- A marginal approach to reduced-rank penalized spline smoothing with application to multilevel functional data.
- Authors: Chen H, Wang Y, Paik MC, Choi HA
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 1
- Flexible estimation of covariance function by penalized spline with application to longitudinal family data.
- Authors: Wang Y
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 10
- Hierarchical functional data with mixed continuous and binary measurements.
- Authors: Li H, Staudenmayer J, Carroll RJ
- Issue date: 2014 Dec