Rapid Surface Oxidation as a Source of Surface Degradation Factor for Bi 2 Se 3
Cha, Judy J.
Analytis, James G.
Fisher, Ian R.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBismuth selenide (Bi2Se3) is a topological insulator with metallic surface states (SS) residing in a large bulk bandgap. In experiments, synthesized Bi2Se3 is often heavily n-type doped due to selenium vacancies. Furthermore, it is discovered from experiments on bulk single crystals that Bi2Se3 gets additional n-type doping after exposure to the atmosphere, thereby reducing the relative contribution of SS in total conductivity. In this article, transport measurements on Bi2Se3 nanoribbons provide additional evidence of such environmental doping process. Systematic surface composition analyses by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy reveal fast formation and continuous growth of native oxide on Bi2Se3 under ambient conditions. In addition to n-type doping at the surface, such surface oxidation is likely the material origin of the degradation of topological SS. Appropriate surface passivation or encapsulation may be required to probe topological SS of Bi2Se3 by transport measurements. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationKong D, Cha JJ, Lai K, Peng H, Analytis JG, et al. (2011) Rapid Surface Oxidation as a Source of Surface Degradation Factor for Bi 2 Se 3 . ACS Nano 5: 4698–4703. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn200556h.
SponsorsY.C. acknowledges the supported from the Keck Foundation and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Investigator Award (No. KUS-I1-001-12). K.L. acknowledges the KAUST Postdoctoral Fellowship support No. KLIS-F1-033-02. J.G.A. and I.R.F. acknowledge support from the Department of Energy, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, under contract DE-AC02-76SF00515.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Topological insulator nanowires and nanoribbons.
- Authors: Kong D, Randel JC, Peng H, Cha JJ, Meister S, Lai K, Chen Y, Shen ZX, Manoharan HC, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Synthesis and field emission properties of topological insulator Bi₂Se₃ nanoflake arrays.
- Authors: Yan Y, Liao ZM, Yu F, Wu HC, Jing G, Yang ZC, Zhao Q, Yu D
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 3
- Magnetic doping and kondo effect in bi(2)se(3) nanoribbons.
- Authors: Cha JJ, Williams JR, Kong D, Meister S, Peng H, Bestwick AJ, Gallagher P, Goldhaber-Gordon D, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 10
- Ultrathin topological insulator Bi2Se3 nanoribbons exfoliated by atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Hong SS, Kundhikanjana W, Cha JJ, Lai K, Kong D, Meister S, Kelly MA, Shen ZX, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 11
- Weak antilocalization in Bi2(Se(x)Te(1-x))3 nanoribbons and nanoplates.
- Authors: Cha JJ, Kong D, Hong SS, Analytis JG, Lai K, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 8