Pulsed Laser Annealing of Thin Films of Self-Assembled Nanocrystals
AuthorsBaumgardner, William J.
Choi, Joshua J.
Fitting Kourkoutis, Lena
Thompson, Michael O.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
Online Publication Date2011-08-08
Print Publication Date2011-09-27
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599415
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigated how pulsed laser annealing can be applied to process thin films of colloidal nanocrystals (NCs) into interconnected nanostructures. We illustrate the relationship between incident laser fluence and changes in morphology of PbSe NC films relative to bulk-like PbSe films. We found that laser pulse fluences in the range of 30 to 200 mJ/cm2 create a processing window of opportunity where the NC film morphology goes through interesting transformations without large-scale coalescence of the NCs. NC coalescence can be mitigated by depositing a thin film of amorphous silicon (a-Si) on the NC film. Remarkably, pulsed laser annealing of the a-Si/PbSe NC films crystallized the silicon while NC morphology and translational order of the NC film are preserved. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationBaumgardner WJ, Choi JJ, Bian K, Fitting Kourkoutis L, Smilgies D-M, et al. (2011) Pulsed Laser Annealing of Thin Films of Self-Assembled Nanocrystals. ACS Nano 5: 7010–7019. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn201588p.
SponsorsWe thank Jan Koenig for providing bulk PbSe thin film samples. W.B. was supported by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). K.B. was supported by NSF-CBET 0828703. J.J.C. was supported by the NSF IGERT Fellowship Program on "Nanoscale Control of Surfaces and Interfaces," administered by Cornell's MRSEC. We also acknowledge the Cornell Center for Materials Science (NSF DMR-0520404) and the Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source (NSF DMR-09262384).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Processing-Structure-Property Relationships in Laser-Annealed PbSe Nanocrystal Thin Films.
- Authors: Treml BE, Robbins AB, Whitham K, Smilgies DM, Thompson MO, Hanrath T
- Issue date: 2015
- [Photoluminescence of nano-SiC annealed by pulse laser].
- Authors: Yu W, He J, Sun YT, Han L, Fu GS
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Ultrafast crystallization kinetics in (Pb,La)Zr₀.₃₀Ti₀.₇₀O₃ thin films by pulsed excimer laser annealing.
- Authors: Bharadwaja SS, Kulik J, Akarapu R, Beratan H, Trolier-McKinstry S
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Ultrafast large-area micropattern generation in nonabsorbing polymer thin films by pulsed laser diffraction.
- Authors: Verma A, Sharma A, Kulkarni GU
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 21
- Parallelized laser-direct patterning of nanocrystalline metal thin films by use of a pulsed laser-induced thermo-elastic force.
- Authors: Yoo H, Shin H, Sim B, Kim S, Lee M
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 17