KAUST Grant NumberKUK-11-008-23
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLarge unilamellar lipid vesicles do not normally fuse under fluid shear stress. They might deform and open pores to relax the tension to which they are exposed, but membrane fusion occurring solely due to shear stress has not yet been reported. We present evidence that shear forces in a viscous solution can induce lipid bilayer fusion. The fusion of 1,2-dioleoyl-sn-glycero-3- phosphocholine (DOPC) liposomes is observed in Couette flow with shear rates above 3000 s-1 provided that the medium is viscous enough. Liposome samples, prepared at different viscosities using a 0-50 wt % range of sucrose concentration, were studied by dynamic light scattering, lipid fusion assays using Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET), and linear dichroism (LD) spectroscopy. Liposomes in solutions with 40 wt % (or more) sucrose showed lipid fusion under shear forces. These results support the hypothesis that under suitable conditions lipid membranes may fuse in response to mechanical-force- induced stress. © 2014 American Chemical Society.
CitationKogan M, Feng B, Nordén B, Rocha S, Beke-Somfai T (2014) Shear-Induced Membrane Fusion in Viscous Solutions. Langmuir 30: 4875–4878. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/la404857r.
SponsorsThis work was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) (grant KUK-11-008-23), the European Research Council (EC-2008 AdG 227700-SUMO), and the Swedish Research Council - Linnaeus grant SUPRA 349-2007-8680.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- High anisotropy of flow-aligned bicellar membrane systems.
- Authors: Kogan M, Nordén B, Beke-Somfai T
- Issue date: 2013 Oct-Nov
- Liposome clusters with shear stress-induced membrane permeability.
- Authors: Yoshimoto M, Tamura R, Natsume T
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Calcein release behavior from liposomal bilayer; influence of physicochemical/mechanical/structural properties of lipids.
- Authors: Maherani B, Arab-Tehrany E, Kheirolomoom A, Geny D, Linder M
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Dependence of M13 major coat protein oligomerization and lateral segregation on bilayer composition.
- Authors: Fernandes F, Loura LM, Prieto M, Koehorst R, Spruijt RB, Hemminga MA
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Lipid diffusion in giant unilamellar vesicles is more than 2 times faster than in supported phospholipid bilayers under identical conditions.
- Authors: Przybylo M, Sýkora J, Humpolíckova J, Benda A, Zan A, Hof M
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 24