SHARPEN-Systematic Hierarchical Algorithms for Rotamers and Proteins on an Extended Network
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlgorithms for discrete optimization of proteins play a central role in recent advances in protein structure prediction and design. We wish to improve the resources available for computational biologists to rapidly prototype such algorithms and to easily scale these algorithms to many processors. To that end, we describe the implementation and use of two new open source resources, citing potential benefits over existing software. We discuss CHOMP, a new object-oriented library for macromolecular optimization, and SHARPEN, a framework for scaling CHOMP scripts to many computers. These tools allow users to develop new algorithms for a variety of applications including protein repacking, protein-protein docking, loop rebuilding, or homology model remediation. Particular care was taken to allow modular energy function design; protein conformations may currently be scored using either the OPLSaa molecular mechanical energy function or an all-atom semiempirical energy function employed by Rosetta. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
CitationLoksha IV, Maiolo JR, Hong CW, Ng A, Snow CD (2009) SHARPEN-Systematic Hierarchical Algorithms for Rotamers and Proteins on an Extended Network. Journal of Computational Chemistry 30: 999–1005. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jcc.21204.
SponsorsThe authors thank Frances H. Arnold for supporting the project: the Jane Coffin Childs foundation and KAUST for postdoctoral support of C.D.S: Mani Chandy for teaching the Distributed Systems course: Jason Paryani for porting the CCD code-, Rarn Kimdasamy for implementing amino acid variants: Phillip Romero and Ben Allen for helpful discussions: Vijay Pande for access to the Folding@Home code: and David Baker for access to the Rosetta code.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- An object-oriented library for computational protein design.
- Authors: Chowdry AB, Reynolds KA, Hanes MS, Voorhies M, Pokala N, Handel TM
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 15
- Structure prediction for CASP7 targets using extensive all-atom refinement with Rosetta@home.
- Authors: Das R, Qian B, Raman S, Vernon R, Thompson J, Bradley P, Khare S, Tyka MD, Bhat D, Chivian D, Kim DE, Sheffler WH, Malmström L, Wollacott AM, Wang C, Andre I, Baker D
- Issue date: 2007
- PTools: an opensource molecular docking library.
- Authors: Saladin A, Fiorucci S, Poulain P, Prévost C, Zacharias M
- Issue date: 2009 May 1
- LOOPER: a molecular mechanics-based algorithm for protein loop prediction.
- Authors: Spassov VZ, Flook PK, Yan L
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Exact rotamer optimization for protein design.
- Authors: Gordon DB, Hom GK, Mayo SL, Pierce NA
- Issue date: 2003 Jan 30