Polymer Vesicles as Robust Scaffolds for the Directed Assembly of Highly Crystalline Nanocrystals †
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-F1-030-21
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the incorporation of various inorganic nanoparticles (NPs) (PbS, LaOF, LaF3, and TiO2, each capped by oleic acid, and CdSe/ZnS core/shell QDs capped by trioctylphosphine oxide) into vesicles (d = 70-150 nm) formed by a sample of poly(styrene-b-acrylic acid) (PS4o4-b-PAA 62, where the subscripts refer to the degree of polymerization) in mixtures of tetrahydrofuran (THF), dioxane, and water. The block copolymer formed mixtures of crew-cut micelles and vesicles with some enhancement of the vesicle population when the NPs were present. The vesicle fraction could be isolated by selective sedimentation via centrifugation, followed by redispersion in water. The NPs appeared to be incorporated into the PAA layers on the internal and external walls of the vesicles (strongly favoring the former). NPs on the exterior surface of the vesicles could be removed completely by treating the samples with a solution of ethylenediaminetetraacetate (EDTA) in water. The triangular nanoplatelets of LaF3 behaved differently. Stacks of these platelets were incorporated into solid colloidal entities, similar in size to the empty vesicles that accompanied them, during the coassembly as water was added to the polymer/LaF3/THF/ dioxane mixture. © 2009 American Chemical Society.
CitationWang M, Zhang M, Siegers C, Scholes GD, Winnik MA (2009) Polymer Vesicles as Robust Scaffolds for the Directed Assembly of Highly Crystalline Nanocrystals † . Langmuir 25: 13703–13711. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/la900523s.
SponsorsWe are grateful to Dr. Karolina Fritz for the synthesis of PbS QDs and to Dr. Margret Hines at Evident Technology for providing the CdSe/ZnS core/shell QDs. We thank NSERC Canada for the support of this research. C.S. is grateful to the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for a postdoctoral research grant (Award No, KUS-F1-030-21).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Self-assembly of colloidal quantum dots on the scaffold of triblock copolymer micelles.
- Authors: Wang M, Zhang M, Li J, Kumar S, Walker GC, Scholes GD, Winnik MA
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Self-assembly of mixtures of block copolymers of poly(styrene-b-acrylic acid) with random copolymers of poly(styrene-co-methacrylic acid).
- Authors: Liu X, Wu J, Kim JS, Eisenberg A
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 3
- Controlling the self-assembly structure of magnetic nanoparticles and amphiphilic block-copolymers: from micelles to vesicles.
- Authors: Hickey RJ, Haynes AS, Kikkawa JM, Park SJ
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 9
- Enhancing the photoluminescence of polymer-stabilized CdSe/CdS/ZnS core/shell/shell and CdSe/ZnS core/shell quantum dots in water through a chemical-activation approach.
- Authors: Wang M, Zhang M, Qian J, Zhao F, Shen L, Scholes GD, Winnik MA
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 6
- Effect of poly(acrylic acid) block length distribution on polystyrene-b-poly(acrylic acid) block copolymer aggregates in solution. 2. A partial phase diagram.
- Authors: Terreau O, Bartels C, Eisenberg A
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 3