Polymer Separators for High-Power, High-Efficiency Microbial Fuel Cells
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-I1-003-13
Online Publication Date2012-11-28
Print Publication Date2012-12-26
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599215
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMicrobial fuel cells (MFCs) with hydrophilic poly(vinyl alcohol) (PVA) separators showed higher Coulombic efficiencies (94%) and power densities (1220 mW m-2) than cells with porous glass fiber separators or reactors without a separator after 32 days of operation. These remarkable increases in both the coublomic efficiency and the power production of the microbial fuel cells were made possible by the separator's unique characteristics of fouling mitigation of the air cathode without a large increase in ionic resistance in the cell. This new type of polymer gel-like separator design will be useful for improving MFC reactor performance by enabling compact cell designs. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
CitationChen G, Wei B, Luo Y, Logan BE, Hickner MA (2012) Polymer Separators for High-Power, High-Efficiency Microbial Fuel Cells. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 4: 6454–6457. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/am302301t.
SponsorsThis research was supported by Award KUS-I1-003-13 from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Separator characteristics for increasing performance of microbial fuel cells.
- Authors: Zhang X, Cheng S, Wang X, Huang X, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 1
- Preparation of a fouling-resistant sustainable cathode for a single-chambered microbial fuel cell.
- Authors: Chatterjee P, Ghangrekar MM
- Issue date: 2014
- Scalable air cathode microbial fuel cells using glass fiber separators, plastic mesh supporters, and graphite fiber brush anodes.
- Authors: Zhang X, Cheng S, Liang P, Huang X, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Air-cathode structure optimization in separator-coupled microbial fuel cells.
- Authors: Zhang X, Sun H, Liang P, Huang X, Chen X, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 15
- A multi-electrode continuous flow microbial fuel cell with separator electrode assembly design.
- Authors: Ahn Y, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2012 Mar