Photonic Color Filters Integrated with Organic Solar Cells for Energy Harvesting
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractColor filters are indispensable in most color display applications. In most cases, they are chemical pigment-based filters, which produce a particular color by absorbing its complementary color, and the absorbed energy is totally wasted. If the absorbed and wasted energy can be utilized, e.g., to generate electricity, innovative energy-efficient electronic media could be envisioned. Here we show photonic nanostructures incorporated with photovoltaics capable of producing desirable colors in the visible band and utilize the absorbed light to simultaneously generate electrical powers. In contrast to the traditional colorant-based filters, these devices offer great advantages for electro-optic applications. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationPark HJ, Xu T, Lee JY, Ledbetter A, Guo LJ (2011) Photonic Color Filters Integrated with Organic Solar Cells for Energy Harvesting. ACS Nano 5: 7055–7060. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn201767e.
SponsorsThis work is supported in part by KAUST and the University of Michigan ETR fund; a CSC fellowship to T. X.; and an EECS fellowship to J.Y.L.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Structural colors: from plasmonic to carbon nanostructures.
- Authors: Xu T, Shi H, Wu YK, Kaplan AF, Ok JG, Guo LJ
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 18
- Nanoimprinted photonic crystal color filters for solar-powered reflective displays.
- Authors: Cho EH, Kim HS, Sohn JS, Moon CY, Park NC, Park YP
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 20
- Organometallic photovoltaics: a new and versatile approach for harvesting solar energy using conjugated polymetallaynes.
- Authors: Wong WY, Ho CL
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 21
- Photon harvesting, coloring and polarizing in photovoltaic cell integrated color filters: efficient energy routing strategies for power-saving displays.
- Authors: Wen L, Chen Q, Song S, Yu Y, Jin L, Hu X
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 3
- Theoretical design of multi-colored semi-transparent organic solar cells with both efficient color filtering and light harvesting.
- Authors: Wen L, Chen Q, Sun F, Song S, Jin L, Yu Y
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 13