Photogenerated Exciton Dissociation in Highly Coupled Lead Salt Nanocrystal Assemblies
AuthorsChoi, Joshua J.
Bartnik, Adam C.
Marohn, John A.
Wise, Frank W.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInternanocrystal coupling induced excitons dissociation in lead salt nanocrystal assemblies is investigated. By combining transient photoluminescence spectroscopy, grazing incidence small-angle X-ray scattering, and time-resolved electric force microscopy, we show that excitons can dissociate, without the aid of an external bias or chemical potential gradient, via tunneling through a potential barrier when the coupling energy is comparable to the exciton binding energy. Our results have important implications for the design of nanocrystal-based optoelectronic devices. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationChoi JJ, Luria J, Hyun B-R, Bartnik AC, Sun L, et al. (2010) Photogenerated Exciton Dissociation in Highly Coupled Lead Salt Nanocrystal Assemblies. Nano Lett 10: 1805–1811. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl100498e.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the Cornell Center for Materials Research SEED fund and KAUST-CU Center for Energy and Sustainability. GISAXS measurements were conducted at Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source (CHESS), and we thank Detlef-M. Smilgies and Kaifu Bian for their help with these measurements. Devices were fabricated in the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility (CNF) which is funded by NSF. DFT calculations were done on the Intel Cluster at the Cornell Nanoscale Facility, part of the National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network (NNIN) funded by the NSF. J.J.C. acknowledges support from NSF IGERT fellowship. J.L. and J.A.M. acknowledge support from NSF. Y.F.L. acknowledges a fellowship from the Agency of Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore. L.S. acknowledges support from NYSTAR.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Energy transfer in hybrid organic/inorganic nanocomposites.
- Authors: Stöferle T, Scherf U, Mahrt RF
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- The fabrication and analysis of a PbS nanocrystal:C(60) bilayer hybrid photovoltaic system.
- Authors: Dissanayake DM, Hatton RA, Lutz T, Curry RJ, Silva SR
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 17
- Strong electronic coupling and ultrafast electron transfer between PbS quantum dots and TiO2 nanocrystalline films.
- Authors: Yang Y, Rodríguez-Córdoba W, Xiang X, Lian T
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 11
- Scanning tunneling spectroscopy of individual PbSe quantum dots and molecular aggregates stabilized in an inert nanocrystal matrix.
- Authors: Overgaag K, Liljeroth P, Grandidier B, Vanmaekelbergh D
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Manifold enhancement of electron beam induced deposition rate at grazing incidence.
- Authors: Sychugov I, Nakayama Y, Mitsuishi K
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 15