KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Online Publication Date2013-10-28
Print Publication Date2013-10
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599177
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe formulate and analyse a model describing the combined effect of mechanical deformation, dynamics of the nematic order parameter, and concentration inhomogeneities in an elastomeric mixture of a mesogenic and an isotropic component. The uniform nematic state may exhibit a long-wave instability corresponding to nematic-isotropic demixing. Numerical simulations starting from either a perfectly ordered nematic state or a quenched isotropic state show that coupling between the mesogen concentration and the nematic order parameter influences the shape and orientation of the domains formed during the demixing process. © EDP Sciences/ Società Italiana di Fisica/ Springer-Verlag 2013.
CitationKöpf MH, Pismen LM (2013) Phase separation and disorder in doped nematic elastomers. Eur Phys J E 36. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1140/epje/i2013-13121-1.
SponsorsWe acknowledge the support by the Human Frontier Science Program (Grant RGP0052/2009-C) and hospitality of the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences where this paper was finalised. MHK acknowledges hospitality of OCCAM supported by Award No. KUK-C1-013-04 by KAUST and the support by LabEx ENS-ICFP: ANR-10-LABX-0010/ANR-10IDEX-0001-02 PSL*.
JournalThe European Physical Journal E
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Three stage-volume phase transitions of a side-chain liquid crystalline elastomer immersed in nematic solvents.
- Authors: Matsuyama A, Kushibe Y
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 14
- Calorimetric study of the Paranematic-to-Nematic transition of polydomain side-chain liquid-crystalline elastomers with different mesogen composition.
- Authors: Cordoyiannis G, Rozic B, Finkelmann H, Zumer S, Kutnjak Z
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Volume phase transitions of biaxial nematic elastomers.
- Authors: Matsuyama A
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Multiple interfaces in diffusional phase transitions in binary mesogen-nonmesogen mixtures undergoing metastable phase separations.
- Authors: Soulé ER, Lavigne C, Reven L, Rey AD
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Thermoresponsive inverse opal films fabricated with liquid-crystal elastomers and nematic liquid crystals.
- Authors: Wu G, Jiang Y, Xu D, Tang H, Liang X, Li G
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 15