Perturbation analysis of spontaneous action potential initiation by stochastic ion channels
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-4
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA stochastic interpretation of spontaneous action potential initiation is developed for the Morris-Lecar equations. Initiation of a spontaneous action potential can be interpreted as the escape from one of the wells of a double well potential, and we develop an asymptotic approximation of the mean exit time using a recently developed quasistationary perturbation method. Using the fact that the activating ionic channel's random openings and closings are fast relative to other processes, we derive an accurate estimate for the mean time to fire an action potential (MFT), which is valid for a below-threshold applied current. Previous studies have found that for above-threshold applied current, where there is only a single stable fixed point, a diffusion approximation can be used. We also explore why different diffusion approximation techniques fail to estimate the MFT. © 2011 American Physical Society.
CitationKeener JP, Newby JM (2011) Perturbation analysis of spontaneous action potential initiation by stochastic ion channels. Phys Rev E 84. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.84.011918.
SponsorsThis publication was based on work supported in part by the National Science Foundation (DMS-0718036) and by Award No KUK-C1-013-4 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Parameters of stochastic diffusion processes estimated from observations of first-hitting times: application to the leaky integrate-and-fire neuronal model.
- Authors: Ditlevsen S, Lansky P
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- The probability of quantal secretion near a single calcium channel of an active zone.
- Authors: Bennett MR, Farnell L, Gibson WG
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Quasicycles in the stochastic hybrid Morris-Lecar neural model.
- Authors: Brooks HA, Bressloff PC
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Diffusion approximation of neuronal models revisited.
- Authors: Cupera J
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Mechanism for neuronal spike generation by small and large ion channel clusters.
- Authors: Zeng S, Jung P
- Issue date: 2004 Jul