Passivation Using Molecular Halides Increases Quantum Dot Solar Cell Performance
García de Arquer, F. Pelayo
Abbas, Abdullah Saud
Kramer, Illan J.
Sargent, Edward H.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-11-009-21
Online Publication Date2015-11-18
Print Publication Date2016-01
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599149
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2015 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim. Here we report a solution-based passivation scheme is developed featuring the use of molecular iodine and PbS colloidal quantum dots (CQDs). The improved passivation translates into a longer carrier diffusion length in the solid film. This allows thicker solar-cell devices to be built while preserving efficient charge collection, leading to a certified power conversion efficiency of 9.9%, which is a new record in CQD solar cells.
CitationLan X, Voznyy O, Kiani A, García de Arquer FP, Abbas AS, et al. (2015) Passivation Using Molecular Halides Increases Quantum Dot Solar Cell Performance. Advanced Materials 28: 299–304. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201503657.
SponsorsX.L., O.V., A.K., and F.P.G.A. contributed equally to this work. This publication is based in part on work supported by Award KUS-11-009-21, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), by the Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence Program, and by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada and by the International Cooperation of the Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP) grant funded by the Korea govenment Ministry of Knowledge Economy (2012T100100740). The authors thank E. Palmiano, L. Levina, A. Labelle, R. Wolowiec, and D. Kopilovic for their help over the course of this study.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- 10.6% Certified Colloidal Quantum Dot Solar Cells via Solvent-Polarity-Engineered Halide Passivation.
- Authors: Lan X, Voznyy O, García de Arquer FP, Liu M, Xu J, Proppe AH, Walters G, Fan F, Tan H, Liu M, Yang Z, Hoogland S, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 13
- Charge Carrier Conduction Mechanism in PbS Quantum Dot Solar Cells: Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Study.
- Authors: Wang H, Wang Y, He B, Li W, Sulaman M, Xu J, Yang S, Tang Y, Zou B
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 20
- Measuring charge carrier diffusion in coupled colloidal quantum dot solids.
- Authors: Zhitomirsky D, Voznyy O, Hoogland S, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 25
- Mixed Lead Halide Passivation of Quantum Dots.
- Authors: Fan JZ, Andersen NT, Biondi M, Todorović P, Sun B, Ouellette O, Abed J, Sagar LK, Choi MJ, Hoogland S, de Arquer FPG, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Reducing Interface Recombination through Mixed Nanocrystal Interlayers in PbS Quantum Dot Solar Cells.
- Authors: Pradhan S, Stavrinadis A, Gupta S, Konstantatos G
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 23