Passivation of nanocrystalline TiO2 junctions by surface adsorbed phosphinate amphiphiles enhances the photovoltaic performance of dye sensitized solar cells
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report a new class of molecular insulators that electronically passivate the surface of nanocrystalline titania films for high performance dye sensitized solar cells (DSC). Using electrical impedance measurements we demonstrate that co-adsorption of dineohexyl bis-(3,3-dimethyl-butyl)-phosphinic acid (DINHOP), along with the amphiphilic ruthenium sensitizer Z907Na increased substantially the power output of the cells mainly due to a retardation of interfacial recombination of photo-generated charge carriers. The use of phosphinates as anchoring groups opens up new avenues for modification of the surface by molecular insulators, sensitizers and other electro-active molecules to realize the desired optoelectronic performance of devices based on oxide junctions. © 2009 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
CitationWang M, Li X, Lin H, Pechy P, Zakeeruddin SM, et al. (2009) Passivation of nanocrystalline TiO2 junctions by surface adsorbed phosphinate amphiphiles enhances the photovoltaic performance of dye sensitized solar cells. Dalton Trans: 10015. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/b908673k.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the Stanford University KAUST center of Excellency and a grant from the United State Airforce. X. Li thanks the Chinese National Natural Science Foundation (50672041) for a grant to support a 6 months leave at the EPFL during which time his contribution to this work was performed. We thank Dr. Robin Humphry-Baker for fruitful discussions and Pascal Comte for the TiO2 film preparations.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Molecular-scale interface engineering of nanocrystalline titania by co-adsorbents for solar energy conversion.
- Authors: Wang M, Plogmaker S, Humphry-Baker R, Pechy P, Rensmo H, Zakeeruddin SM, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 9
- Effect of additives on the photovoltaic performance of coumarin-dye-sensitized nanocrystalline TiO2 solar cells.
- Authors: Hara K, Dan-oh Y, Kasada C, Ohga Y, Shinpo A, Suga S, Sayama K, Arakawa H
- Issue date: 2004 May 11
- Enhance the optical absorptivity of nanocrystalline TiO2 film with high molar extinction coefficient ruthenium sensitizers for high performance dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Gao F, Wang Y, Shi D, Zhang J, Wang M, Jing X, Humphry-Baker R, Wang P, Zakeeruddin SM, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 13
- High-performance dye-sensitized solar cells based on solvent-free electrolytes produced from eutectic melts.
- Authors: Bai Y, Cao Y, Zhang J, Wang M, Li R, Wang P, Zakeeruddin SM, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Charge separation versus recombination in dye-sensitized nanocrystalline solar cells: the minimization of kinetic redundancy.
- Authors: Haque SA, Palomares E, Cho BM, Green AN, Hirata N, Klug DR, Durrant JR
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 16