KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599144
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe derive an expression for the nonequilibrium segregation coefficient of colloidal particles near a moving solid-liquid interface. The resulting kinetic phase diagram has applications for the rapid solidification of clay soils, gels, and related colloidal systems. We use it to explain the formation of bandlike defects in rapidly solidified alumina suspensions. © 2011 American Physical Society.
CitationElliott JAW, Peppin SSL (2011) Particle Trapping and Banding in Rapid Colloidal Solidification. Physical Review Letters 107. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.107.168301.
SponsorsThis publication was based on work supported in part by Grant No. KUK-C1-013-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) and also by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada. J. A. W. E. held a Canada Research Chair in Interfacial Thermodynamics during this research. We are grateful to Sylvain Deville and Wayne Hayes for helpful suggestions.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Metastable and unstable cellular solidification of colloidal suspensions.
- Authors: Deville S, Maire E, Bernard-Granger G, Lasalle A, Bogner A, Gauthier C, Leloup J, Guizard C
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Solute trapping and diffusionless solidification in a binary system.
- Authors: Galenko P
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Solute trapping in rapid solidification of a binary dilute system: a phase-field study.
- Authors: Galenko PK, Abramova EV, Jou D, Danilov DA, Lebedev VG, Herlach DM
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Kinetic Phase Diagrams of Ternary Al-Cu-Li System during Rapid Solidification: A Phase-Field Study.
- Authors: Yang X, Zhang L, Sobolev S, Du Y
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 8
- Linear morphological stability analysis of the solid-liquid interface in rapid solidification of a binary system.
- Authors: Galenko PK, Danilov DA
- Issue date: 2004 May