Optical characteristics of silicon nanowires grown from tin catalyst layers on silicon coated glass
Online Publication Date2012-08-20
Print Publication Date2012-08-27
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599081
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe optical characteristics of silicon nanowires grown on Si layers on glass have been modeled using the FDTD (Finite Difference Time Domain) technique and compared with experimental results. The wires were grown by the VLS (vapour-liquid-solid) method using Sn catalyst layers and exhibit a conical shape. The resulting measured and modeled absorption, reflectance and transmittance spectra have been investigated as a function of the thickness of the underlying Si layer and the initial catalyst layer, the latter having a strong influence on wire density. High levels of absorption (>90% in the visible wavelength range) and good agreement between the modeling and experiment have been observed when the nanowires have a relatively high density of ∼4 wires/μ m2. The experimental and modeled results diverge for samples with a lower density of wire growth. The results are discussed along with some implications for solar cell fabrication. © 2012 Optical Society of America.
CitationBall J, Centeno A, Mendis BG, Reehal HS, Alford N (2012) Optical characteristics of silicon nanowires grown from tin catalyst layers on silicon coated glass. Optics Express 20: 20266. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.20.020266.
SponsorsJ. Ball and H. S. Reehal thank the EPSRC and PV21 SUPERGEN consortium for support of this work. A Centeno and N Alford acknowledge the partial funding of this work by EPSRC and the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherThe Optical Society
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Fine-tuning of catalytic tin nanoparticles by the reverse micelle method for direct deposition of silicon nanowires by a plasma-enhanced chemical vapour technique.
- Authors: Poinern GE, Ng YJ, Fawcett D
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15
- Structure, growth kinetics, and ledge flow during vapor-solid-solid growth of copper-catalyzed silicon nanowires.
- Authors: Wen CY, Reuter MC, Tersoff J, Stach EA, Ross FM
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 10
- Radial junction amorphous silicon solar cells on PECVD-grown silicon nanowires.
- Authors: Yu L, O'Donnell B, Foldyna M, Roca i Cabarrocas P
- Issue date: 2012 May 17
- Optical analyses of the formation of a silver nanoparticle-containing layer in glass.
- Authors: Wackerow S, Abdolvand A
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 8
- Optical absorption enhancement in amorphous silicon nanowire and nanocone arrays.
- Authors: Zhu J, Yu Z, Burkhard GF, Hsu CM, Connor ST, Xu Y, Wang Q, McGehee M, Fan S, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2009 Jan