Opportunities in chemistry and materials science for topological insulators and their nanostructures
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-l1-001-12
Online Publication Date2011-11-01
Print Publication Date2011-11
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599080
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractElectrical charges on the boundaries of topological insulators favour forward motion over back-scattering at impurities, producing low-dissipation, metallic states that exist up to room temperature in ambient conditions. These states have the promise to impact a broad range of applications from electronics to the production of energy, which is one reason why topological insulators have become the rising star in condensed-matter physics. There are many challenges in the processing of these exotic materials to use the metallic states in functional devices, and they present great opportunities for the chemistry and materials science research communities. © 2011 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
CitationKong D, Cui Y (2011) Opportunities in chemistry and materials science for topological insulators and their nanostructures. Nature Chem 3: 845–849. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/NCHEM.1171.
SponsorsWe have benefited from discussions with Shou-Cheng Zhang and Zhong Wang to improve this Perspective. Our research on topological insulators is supported by the Keck Foundation and DARPA MESO project (no. N66001-11-1-4105). Y. C. acknowledges the support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Investigator Award (no. KUS-l1-001-12).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Gate-controlled surface conduction in Na-doped Bi2Te3 topological insulator nanoplates.
- Authors: Wang Y, Xiu F, Cheng L, He L, Lang M, Tang J, Kou X, Yu X, Jiang X, Chen Z, Zou J, Wang KL
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 14
- Band structure engineering in (Bi(1-x)Sb(x))(2)Te(3) ternary topological insulators.
- Authors: Zhang J, Chang CZ, Zhang Z, Wen J, Feng X, Li K, Liu M, He K, Wang L, Chen X, Xue QK, Ma X, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 6
- Snapshots of Dirac fermions near the Dirac point in topological insulators.
- Authors: Luo CW, Wang HJ, Ku SA, Chen HJ, Yeh TT, Lin JY, Wu KH, Juang JY, Young BL, Kobayashi T, Cheng CM, Chen CH, Tsuei KD, Sankar R, Chou FC, Kokh KA, Tereshchenko OE, Chulkov EV, Andreev YM, Gu GD
- Issue date: 2013
- Ambipolar field effect in the ternary topological insulator (Bi(x)Sb(1-x))2Te3 by composition tuning.
- Authors: Kong D, Chen Y, Cha JJ, Zhang Q, Analytis JG, Lai K, Liu Z, Hong SS, Koski KJ, Mo SK, Hussain Z, Fisher IR, Shen ZX, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 2
- Robustness of topological order and formation of quantum well states in topological insulators exposed to ambient environment.
- Authors: Chen C, He S, Weng H, Zhang W, Zhao L, Liu H, Jia X, Mou D, Liu S, He J, Peng Y, Feng Y, Xie Z, Liu G, Dong X, Zhang J, Wang X, Peng Q, Wang Z, Zhang S, Yang F, Chen C, Xu Z, Dai X, Fang Z, Zhou XJ
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 6