On-chip DNA preconcentration in different media conductivities by electrodeless dielectrophoresis
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/599071
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2015 AIP Publishing LLC. Electrodeless dielectrophoresis is the best choice to achieve preconcentration of nanoparticles and biomolecules due to its simple, robust, and easy implementation. We designed a simple chip with microchannels and nano-slits in between and then studied the trapping of DNA in high conductive medium and low conductive medium, corresponding to positive and negative dielectrophoresis (DEP), respectively. It is very important to investigate the trapping in media with different conductivities since one always has to deal with the sample solutions with different conductivities. The trapping process was analyzed by the fluorescent intensity changes. The results showed that DNA could be trapped at the nano-slit in both high and low conductive media in a lower electric field strength (10 V/cm) compared to the existing methods. This is a significant improvement to suppress the Joule heating effect in DEP related experiments. Our work may give insight to researchers for DNA trapping by a simple and low cost device in the Lab-on-a-Chip system.
CitationLi S, Ye Z, Hui YS, Gao Y, Jiang Y, et al. (2015) On-chip DNA preconcentration in different media conductivities by electrodeless dielectrophoresis. Biomicrofluidics 9: 054115. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4932177.
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank Mr. Weipeng Zhang from Environmental Science Program, HKUST for providing DNA and the fruitful discussions. The authors acknowledge the financial support provided by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (Grant Nos. HKUST604710 and 605411) and National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 11290165). This work was partially supported by Award No. SA-C0040/UK-C0016 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PubMed Central IDPMC4592423
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Electric field-induced effects on neuronal cell biology accompanying dielectrophoretic trapping.
- Authors: Heida T
- Issue date: 2003
- Scaling down constriction-based (electrodeless) dielectrophoresis devices for trapping nanoscale bioparticles in physiological media of high-conductivity.
- Authors: Chaurey V, Rohani A, Su YH, Liao KT, Chou CF, Swami NS
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Rapid Concentration of Nanoparticles with DC Dielectrophoresis in Focused Electric Fields.
- Authors: Chen D, Du H, Tay C
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 1
- DC biased low-frequency insulating constriction dielectrophoresis for protein biomolecules concentration.
- Authors: Zhang P, Liu Y
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 1
- Electrodeless dielectrophoresis: Impact of geometry and material on obstacle polarization.
- Authors: Pesch GR, Kiewidt L, Du F, Baune M, Thöming J
- Issue date: 2016 Jan