Non-equilibrium phonon generation and detection in microstructure devices
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
Online Publication Date2011-11-02
Print Publication Date2011-10
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598980
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrate a method to excite locally a controllable, non-thermal distribution of acoustic phonon modes ranging from 0 to ∼200 GHz in a silicon microstructure, by decay of excited quasiparticle states in an attached superconducting tunnel junction (STJ). The phonons transiting the structure ballistically are detected by a second STJ, allowing comparison of direct with indirect transport pathways. This method may be applied to study how different phonon modes contribute to the thermal conductivity of nanostructures. © 2011 American Institute of Physics.
CitationHertzberg JB, Otelaja OO, Yoshida NJ, Robinson RD (2011) Non-equilibrium phonon generation and detection in microstructure devices. Review of Scientific Instruments 82: 104905. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.3652979.
SponsorsThe authors thank R. B. Van Dover, J. Blakely, S. Baker, K. Schwab, and Cornell LASSP for loan of key equipment, and L. Spietz for photolithography recipes. We thank R. B. Van Dover, K. Schwab, E. Smith, J. Parpia, D. Ralph, B. Plourde, M. Blencowe, D. Westly, R. Pohl, P. Berberich, and C. Mellor for helpful discussions and thank D. Toledo, J. Chang and A. Lin for help with apparatus. The authors acknowledge funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF) (DMR 0520404) and Department of Energy (DOE) (DE-SC0001086). This publication is based on work supported in part by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). This work was performed in part at the Cornell NanoScale Facility, a member of the National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network, which is supported by the National Science Foundation (Grant ECS-0335765).
JournalReview of Scientific Instruments
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Lifetimes of confined acoustic phonons in ultrathin silicon membranes.
- Authors: Cuffe J, Ristow O, Chávez E, Shchepetov A, Chapuis PO, Alzina F, Hettich M, Prunnila M, Ahopelto J, Dekorsy T, Sotomayor Torres CM
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 1
- Investigation of direct and indirect phonon-mediated bond excitation in α-RDX.
- Authors: Kraczek B, Chung PW
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 21
- Interaction of coherent phonons with defects and elementary excitations.
- Authors: Hase M, Kitajima M
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 24
- Generation and detection of gigahertz acoustic oscillations in thin membranes.
- Authors: Schubert M, Grossmann M, He C, Brick D, Scheel P, Ristow O, Gusev V, Dekorsy T
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Electron-phonon interaction model and prediction of thermal energy transport in SOI transistor.
- Authors: Jin JS, Lee JS
- Issue date: 2007 Nov