KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe examine the ability of intrinsic noise to produce complex temporal dynamics in Turing pattern formation systems, with particular emphasis on the Schnakenberg kinetics. Using power spectral methods, we characterize the behavior of the system using stochastic simulations at a wide range of points in parameter space and compare with analytical approximations. Specifically, we investigate whether polarity switching of stochastic patterns occurs at a defined frequency. We find that it can do so in individual realizations of a stochastic simulation, but that the frequency is not defined consistently across realizations in our samples of parameter space. Further, we examine the effect of noise on deterministically predicted traveling waves and find them increased in amplitude and decreased in speed. © 2013 American Physical Society.
CitationSchumacher LJ, Woolley TE, Baker RE (2013) Noise-induced temporal dynamics in Turing systems. Phys Rev E 87. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.87.042719.
SponsorsWe gratefully acknowledge the U.K.'s Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) for funding through a studentship (L.J.S.) at the Life Science Interface programme of the University of Oxford's Doctoral Training Centre. This publication is based on work supported by Award No. KUK-C1-013-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Spatio-temporal dynamics induced by competing instabilities in two asymmetrically coupled nonlinear evolution equations.
- Authors: Schüler D, Alonso S, Torcini A, Bär M
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Stochastic Turing patterns: analysis of compartment-based approaches.
- Authors: Cao Y, Erban R
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Turing instabilities and spatio-temporal chaos in ratio-dependent Holling-Tanner model.
- Authors: Banerjee M, Banerjee S
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Dynamics of self-adjusting systems with noise.
- Authors: Melby P, Weber N, Hübler A
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Pattern formation induced by internal microscopic fluctuations.
- Authors: Wang H, Fu Z, Xu X, Ouyang Q
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 22