Noise-induced synchronization, desynchronization, and clustering in globally coupled nonidentical oscillators
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598978
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe study ensembles of globally coupled, nonidentical phase oscillators subject to correlated noise, and we identify several important factors that cause noise and coupling to synchronize or desynchronize a system. By introducing noise in various ways, we find an estimate for the onset of synchrony of a system in terms of the coupling strength, noise strength, and width of the frequency distribution of its natural oscillations. We also demonstrate that noise alone can be sufficient to synchronize nonidentical oscillators. However, this synchrony depends on the first Fourier mode of a phase-sensitivity function, through which we introduce common noise into the system. We show that higher Fourier modes can cause desynchronization due to clustering effects, and that this can reinforce clustering caused by different forms of coupling. Finally, we discuss the effects of noise on an ensemble in which antiferromagnetic coupling causes oscillators to form two clusters in the absence of noise. © 2013 American Physical Society.
CitationLai YM, Porter MA (2013) Noise-induced synchronization, desynchronization, and clustering in globally coupled nonidentical oscillators. Phys Rev E 88. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.88.012905.
SponsorsY.M.L. was funded in part by a grant from KAUST. We thank Sherry Chen for early work on antiferromagnetic synchronization and Mike Cross for his collaboration on that precursor project. We thank Erik Bollt and Jie Sun for helpful comments.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Noise-induced synchronization of a large population of globally coupled nonidentical oscillators.
- Authors: Nagai KH, Kori H
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Aging and clustering in globally coupled oscillators.
- Authors: Daido H, Nakanishi K
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Noise enhanced phase synchronization and coherence resonance in sets of chaotic oscillators with weak global coupling.
- Authors: Kiss IZ, Zhai Y, Hudson JL, Zhou C, Kurths J
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Using nonisochronicity to control synchronization in ensembles of nonidentical oscillators.
- Authors: Montbrió E, Blasius B
- Issue date: 2003 Mar