Neutral Color Semitransparent Microstructured Perovskite Solar Cells
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Online Publication Date2013-12-10
Print Publication Date2014-01-28
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598967
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNeutral-colored semitransparent solar cells are commercially desired to integrate solar cells into the windows and cladding of buildings and automotive applications. Here, we report the use of morphological control of perovskite thin films to form semitransparent planar heterojunction solar cells with neutral color and comparatively high efficiencies. We take advantage of spontaneous dewetting to create microstructured arrays of perovskite "islands", on a length-scale small enough to appear continuous to the eye yet large enough to enable unattenuated transmission of light between the islands. The islands are thick enough to absorb most visible light, and the combination of completely absorbing and completely transparent regions results in neutral transmission of light. Using these films, we fabricate thin-film solar cells with respectable power conversion efficiencies. Remarkably, we find that such discontinuous films still have good rectification behavior and relatively high open-circuit voltages due to the inherent rectification between the n- and p-type charge collection layers. Furthermore, we demonstrate the ease of "color-tinting" such microstructured perovksite solar cells with no reduction in performance, by incorporation of a dye within the hole transport medium. © 2013 American Chemical Society.
CitationEperon GE, Burlakov VM, Goriely A, Snaith HJ (2014) Neutral Color Semitransparent Microstructured Perovskite Solar Cells. ACS Nano 8: 591–598. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn4052309.
SponsorsThis work was supported by EPSRC and Oxford Photovoltaics Ltd. through a Nanotechnology KTN CASE award, the European Research Council (ERC) HYPER PROJECT No. 279881. This publication is based in part upon work supported by Award No. KUK-C1-013-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). A.G. is a Wolfson/Royal Society Merit Award Holder and acknowledges support from a Reintegration Grant under EC Framework VII. V.B. is an Oxford Martin School Fellow, and this work was in part Supported by the Oxford Martin School. The authors wish to thank Maximillian Hoerantner for assistance in graphical design.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Efficient, Semitransparent Neutral-Colored Solar Cells Based on Microstructured Formamidinium Lead Trihalide Perovskite.
- Authors: Eperon GE, Bryant D, Troughton J, Stranks SD, Johnston MB, Watson T, Worsley DA, Snaith HJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 2
- Neutral- and Multi-Colored Semitransparent Perovskite Solar Cells.
- Authors: Lee KT, Guo LJ, Park HJ
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 11
- Bifacial Diffuse Absorptance of Semitransparent Microstructured Perovskite Solar Cells.
- Authors: Marongiu D, Lai S, Sarritzu V, Pinna E, Mula G, Mercuri ML, Saba M, Quochi F, Mura A, Bongiovanni G
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 13
- Semitransparent Perovskite Solar Cells with Enhanced Light Utilization Efficiencies by Transferable Ag Nanogrid Electrodes.
- Authors: Lee J, Shin B, Kim S, Cho SH, Jung Y, Park KT, Son C, Chu YH, Ryu DG, Yoon S, Choi M, Kim HY, Lee YS
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 15
- Efficient hole-blocking layer-free planar halide perovskite thin-film solar cells.
- Authors: Ke W, Fang G, Wan J, Tao H, Liu Q, Xiong L, Qin P, Wang J, Lei H, Yang G, Qin M, Zhao X, Yan Y
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 23