Nafion as Cosurfactant: Solubilization of Nafion in Water in the Presence of Pluronics
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIncorporation of Nafion to aqueous solutions of Pluronics adversely impacts micellization due to extensive Nafion/copolymer interactions. Light scattering and zeta potential measurements provide evidence for the formation of sizable and stable Nafion/copolymer complexes, in expense of the neat copolymer micelles. At high copolymer concentrations, the overall interaction diagram of Nafion/copolymer reflects the competitive action of the release of packing constraints due to micellar destabilization induced by Nafion on one hand and the gelator nature of the Nafion on the other. Measurements using a quartz crystal microbalance (QCM-D) show that aqueous solutions of Pluronics (even at very low concentration) can dissolve the Nafion coating on the crystal resonator, while typical low molecular weight ionic surfactants fail to induce similar effects. These studies demonstrate that complexation with this class of copolymers is a facile route to impart dispersibility to Nafion in aqueous environments that otherwise can be achieved through tedious and harsh treatments. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationKelarakis A, Giannelis EP (2011) Nafion as Cosurfactant: Solubilization of Nafion in Water in the Presence of Pluronics. Langmuir 27: 554–560. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/la103318u.
SponsorsThis material is based on work supported as part of the Energy Materials Center at Cornell, an Energy Frontier Research Center funded by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences under Award Number DE-SC0001086. This publication is based on work supported in part by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Switching micellization of pluronics in water by CO2.
- Authors: Zhang J, Han B, Zhao Y, Li J, Yang G
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 4
- Solubilization of parabens in aqueous Pluronic solutions: investigating the micellar growth and interaction as a function of paraben composition.
- Authors: Khimani M, Ganguly R, Aswal VK, Nath S, Bahadur P
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 27
- Formation of micelles of Pluronic block copolymers in PEG 200.
- Authors: Zhang C, Zhang J, Li W, Feng X, Hou M, Han B
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 1
- Sphere-to-rod transition of non-surface-active amphiphilic diblock copolymer micelles: a small-angle neutron scattering study.
- Authors: Kaewsaiha P, Matsumoto K, Matsuoka H
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 28
- Structure and interactions in micellar solutions: molecular simulations of pluronic L64 aqueous solutions.
- Authors: Bedrov D, Smith GD, Yoon J
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 20