Modeling the efficiency of Förster resonant energy transfer from energy relay dyes in dye-sensitized solar cells
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598862
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFörster resonant energy transfer can improve the spectral breadth, absorption and energy conversion efficiency of dye sensitized solar cells. In this design, unattached relay dyes absorb the high energy photons and transfer the excitation to sensitizing dye molecules by Förster resonant energy transfer. We use an analytic theory to calculate the excitation transfer efficiency from the relay dye to the sensitizing dye accounting for dynamic quenching and relay dye diffusion. We present calculations for pores of cylindrical and spherical geometry and examine the effects of the Förster radius, the pore size, sensitizing dye surface concentration, collisional quenching rate, and relay dye lifetime. We find that the excitation transfer efficiency can easily exceed 90% for appropriately chosen dyes and propose two different strategies for selecting dyes to achieve record power conversion efficiencies. © 2010 Optical Society of America.
CitationHoke ET, Hardin BE, McGehee MD (2010) Modeling the efficiency of Förster resonant energy transfer from energy relay dyes in dye-sensitized solar cells. Optics Express 18: 3893. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/oe.18.003893.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology Center for Advanced Molecular Photovoltaics and the Office of Naval Research contract no. N00014-08-1-1163. E.T.H. was supported by the National Science Foundation GRFP and the Fannie and John Hertz Foundation.
PublisherThe Optical Society
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Time-evolution of poly(3-hexylthiophene) as an energy relay dye in dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Humphry-Baker N, Driscoll K, Rao A, Torres T, Snaith HJ, Friend RH
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 8
- High excitation transfer efficiency from energy relay dyes in dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Hardin BE, Yum JH, Hoke ET, Jun YC, Péchy P, Torres T, Brongersma ML, Nazeeruddin MK, Grätzel M, McGehee MD
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 11
- Incorporating multiple energy relay dyes in liquid dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Yum JH, Hardin BE, Hoke ET, Baranoff E, Zakeeruddin SM, Nazeeruddin MK, Torres T, McGehee MD, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 25
- Highly soluble energy relay dyes for dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Margulis GY, Lim B, Hardin BE, Unger EL, Yum JH, Feckl JM, Fattakhova-Rohlfing D, Bein T, Grätzel M, Sellinger A, McGehee MD
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 21
- Interplay between transparency and efficiency in dye sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Tagliaferro R, Colonna D, Brown TM, Reale A, Di Carlo A
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 11