Mn 3 O 4 −Graphene Hybrid as a High-Capacity Anode Material for Lithium Ion Batteries
Sanchez Casalongue, Hernan
Robinson, Joshua Tucker
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe developed two-step solution-phase reactions to form hybrid materials of Mn3O4 nanoparticles on reduced graphene oxide (RGO) sheets for lithium ion battery applications. Selective growth of Mn3O 4 nanoparticles on RGO sheets, in contrast to free particle growth in solution, allowed for the electrically insulating Mn3O4 nanoparticles to be wired up to a current collector through the underlying conducting graphene network. The Mn3O4 nanoparticles formed on RGO show a high specific capacity up to ∼900 mAh/g, near their theoretical capacity, with good rate capability and cycling stability, owing to the intimate interactions between the graphene substrates and the Mn 3O4 nanoparticles grown atop. The Mn3O 4/RGO hybrid could be a promising candidate material for a high-capacity, low-cost, and environmentally friendly anode for lithium ion batteries. Our growth-on-graphene approach should offer a new technique for the design and synthesis of battery electrodes based on highly insulating materials. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationWang H, Cui L-F, Yang Y, Sanchez Casalongue H, Robinson JT, et al. (2010) Mn 3 O 4 −Graphene Hybrid as a High-Capacity Anode Material for Lithium Ion Batteries . Journal of the American Chemical Society 132: 13978–13980. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja105296a.
SponsorsThis work was supported in part by the Office of Naval Research, NSF award CHE-0639053 and a KAUST Investigator Award H. Wang and Y. Yang acknowledge financial support from Stanford Graduate Fellowship.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Graphene anchored with co(3)o(4) nanoparticles as anode of lithium ion batteries with enhanced reversible capacity and cyclic performance.
- Authors: Wu ZS, Ren W, Wen L, Gao L, Zhao J, Chen Z, Zhou G, Li F, Cheng HM
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22
- Facile synthesis of metal oxide/reduced graphene oxide hybrids with high lithium storage capacity and stable cyclability.
- Authors: Zhu J, Zhu T, Zhou X, Zhang Y, Lou XW, Chen X, Zhang H, Hng HH, Yan Q
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Nanostructured reduced graphene oxide/Fe2O3 composite as a high-performance anode material for lithium ion batteries.
- Authors: Zhu X, Zhu Y, Murali S, Stoller MD, Ruoff RS
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 26
- CoMoO4 nanoparticles anchored on reduced graphene oxide nanocomposites as anodes for long-life lithium-ion batteries.
- Authors: Yao J, Gong Y, Yang S, Xiao P, Zhang Y, Keyshar K, Ye G, Ozden S, Vajtai R, Ajayan PM
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 26
- Co3O4@graphene composites as anode materials for high-performance lithium ion batteries.
- Authors: Li B, Cao H, Shao J, Li G, Qu M, Yin G
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 7