Mesoscopic Percolating Resistance Network in a Strained Manganite Thin Film
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-F1-033-02
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMany unusual behaviors in complex oxides are deeply associated with the spontaneous emergence of microscopic phase separation. Depending on the underlying mechanism, the competing phases can form ordered or random patterns at vastly different length scales. By using a microwave impedance microscope, we observed an orientation-ordered percolating network in strained Nd 1/2Sr1/2MnO3 thin films with a large period of 100 nanometers. The filamentary metallic domains align preferentially along certain crystal axes of the substrate, suggesting the anisotropic elastic strain as the key interaction in this system. The local impedance maps provide microscopic electrical information of the hysteretic behavior in strained thin film manganites, suggesting close connection between the glassy order and the colossal magnetoresistance effects at low temperatures.
CitationLai K, Nakamura M, Kundhikanjana W, Kawasaki M, Tokura Y, et al. (2010) Mesoscopic Percolating Resistance Network in a Strained Manganite Thin Film. Science 329: 190–193. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1189925.
SponsorsWe thank X.-L. Qi, Y. Chen, J. C. Davis, and S. A. Kivelson for valuable discussions. The work is supported by NSF (grants DMR-0906027 and Center of Probing the Nanoscale PHY-0425897), Department of Energy (DE-FG03-01ER45929-A001), Funding Program for World-Loading Innovative R and D on Science and Technology (FIRST) of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology Fellowship (KUS-F1-033-02). Stanford University has filed a patent application with the U.S. Patent Office on the AFM compatible microwave imaging technique. This technology was modified for low-temperature measurement in this report.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Direct Imaging of Dynamic Glassy Behavior in a Strained Manganite Film.
- Authors: Kundhikanjana W, Sheng Z, Yang Y, Lai K, Ma EY, Cui YT, Kelly MA, Nakamura M, Kawasaki M, Tokura Y, Tang Q, Zhang K, Li X, Shen ZX
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 31
- A phenomenological approach to the anisotropic magnetoresistance and planar Hall effect in tetragonal La(2/3)Ca(1/3)MnO3 thin films.
- Authors: Li J, Li SL, Wu ZW, Li S, Chu HF, Wang J, Zhang Y, Tian HY, Zheng DN
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 14
- Anisotropic imprint of amorphization and phase separation in manganite thin films via laser interference irradiation.
- Authors: Ding J, Lin Z, Wu J, Dong Z, Wu T
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 4
- Strain-induced metal-insulator phase coexistence in perovskite manganites.
- Authors: Ahn KH, Lookman T, Bishop AR
- Issue date: 2004 Mar 25
- Atomic-scale images of charge ordering in a mixed-valence manganite.
- Authors: Renner Ch, Aeppli G, Kim BG, Soh YA, Cheong SW
- Issue date: 2002 Apr 4