Chandiran, Aravind Kumar
Nazeeruddin, Md. K.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS- C1-015-21
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report for the first time on a hole conductor-free mesoscopic methylammonium lead iodide (CH 3NH 3PbI 3) perovskite/TiO 2 heterojunction solar cell, produced by deposition of perovskite nanoparticles from a solution of CH 3NH 3I and PbI 2 in γ-butyrolactone on a 400 nm thick film of TiO 2 (anatase) nanosheets exposing (001) facets. A gold film was evaporated on top of the CH 3NH 3PbI 3 as a back contact. Importantly, the CH 3NH 3PbI 3 nanoparticles assume here simultaneously the roles of both light harvester and hole conductor, rendering superfluous the use of an additional hole transporting material. The simple mesoscopic CH 3NH 3PbI 3/TiO 2 heterojunction solar cell shows impressive photovoltaic performance, with short-circuit photocurrent J sc= 16.1 mA/cm 2, open-circuit photovoltage V oc = 0.631 V, and a fill factor FF = 0.57, corresponding to a light to electric power conversion efficiency (PCE) of 5.5% under standard AM 1.5 solar light of 1000 W/m 2 intensity. At a lower light intensity of 100W/m 2, a PCE of 7.3% was measured. The advent of such simple solution-processed mesoscopic heterojunction solar cells paves the way to realize low-cost, high-efficiency solar cells. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
CitationEtgar L, Gao P, Xue Z, Peng Q, Chandiran AK, et al. (2012) Mesoscopic CH 3 NH 3 PbI 3 /TiO 2 Heterojunction Solar Cells . Journal of the American Chemical Society 134: 17396–17399. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja307789s.
SponsorsThe authors thank Carole Graetzel for fruitful discussions. This work was partially supported by EU FP7 project ENERGY-261920 "ESCORT". M.K.N. thanks the World Class University program, Photovoltaic Materials, Department of Material Chemistry, Korea University, Chungnam, 339-700, Korea, funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology through the National Research Foundation of Korea (No. R31-2008-000-10035-0). FP7-NMP-2009 Project SANS under the contract No. NMP-246124, and ORION grant agreement number NMP-229036. The Research was partially supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST, Award No KUS- C1-015-21).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Lead iodide perovskite sensitized all-solid-state submicron thin film mesoscopic solar cell with efficiency exceeding 9%.
- Authors: Kim HS, Lee CR, Im JH, Lee KB, Moehl T, Marchioro A, Moon SJ, Humphry-Baker R, Yum JH, Moser JE, Grätzel M, Park NG
- Issue date: 2012
- Light energy conversion by mesoscopic PbS quantum dots/TiO2 heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Etgar L, Moehl T, Gabriel S, Hickey SG, Eychmüller A, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 24
- Hole-Conductor-Free Mesoscopic TiO2/CH3NH3PbI3 Heterojunction Solar Cells Based on Anatase Nanosheets and Carbon Counter Electrodes.
- Authors: Rong Y, Ku Z, Mei A, Liu T, Xu M, Ko S, Li X, Han H
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 19
- Depletion region effect of highly efficient hole conductor free CH3NH3PbI3 perovskite solar cells.
- Authors: Aharon S, Gamliel S, El Cohen B, Etgar L
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 14
- Growth of CH3NH3PbI3 cuboids with controlled size for high-efficiency perovskite solar cells.
- Authors: Im JH, Jang IH, Pellet N, Grätzel M, Park NG
- Issue date: 2014 Nov