Mathematical Model of Growth Factor Driven Haptotaxis and Proliferation in a Tissue Engineering Scaffold
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Online Publication Date2013-01-29
Print Publication Date2013-03
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/598768
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMotivated by experimental work (Miller et al. in Biomaterials 27(10):2213-2221, 2006, 32(11):2775-2785, 2011) we investigate the effect of growth factor driven haptotaxis and proliferation in a perfusion tissue engineering bioreactor, in which nutrient-rich culture medium is perfused through a 2D porous scaffold impregnated with growth factor and seeded with cells. We model these processes on the timescale of cell proliferation, which typically is of the order of days. While a quantitative representation of these phenomena requires more experimental data than is yet available, qualitative agreement with preliminary experimental studies (Miller et al. in Biomaterials 27(10):2213-2221, 2006) is obtained, and appears promising. The ultimate goal of such modeling is to ascertain initial conditions (growth factor distribution, initial cell seeding, etc.) that will lead to a final desired outcome. © 2013 Society for Mathematical Biology.
CitationPohlmeyer JV, Waters SL, Cummings LJ (2013) Mathematical Model of Growth Factor Driven Haptotaxis and Proliferation in a Tissue Engineering Scaffold. Bull Math Biol 75: 393–427. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11538-013-9810-0.
SponsorsThis work is supported by Award No. KUK-C1-013-04 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors wish to thank Dr. Lee Weiss and Dr. Phil Campbell for use of experimental images included in this paper. J.P. would like to thank Drs. Treena Arinzeh, Shahriar Afkami, and Michael Siegel for much useful guidance with development and numerical solution of the model S. L. W. is grateful to the ERSRC for funding in the form of an Advanced Research Fellowship.
JournalBulletin of Mathematical Biology
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- 2-D coupled computational model of biological cell proliferation and nutrient delivery in a perfusion bioreactor.
- Authors: Shakeel M
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- A continuum model of cell proliferation and nutrient transport in a perfusion bioreactor.
- Authors: Shakeel M, Matthews PC, Graham RS, Waters SL
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Cyclic loading of growing tissue in a bioreactor: mathematical model and asymptotic analysis.
- Authors: Pohlmeyer JV, Cummings LJ
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Modeling of cell cultures in perfusion bioreactors.
- Authors: Yan X, Bergstrom DJ, Chen XB
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Hybrid cellular automaton modeling of nutrient modulated cell growth in tissue engineering constructs.
- Authors: Chung CA, Lin TH, Chen SD, Huang HI
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 21